House prepares for new school year

House co-sponsor Sarah Wolff is taking on the student-leadership  organization this year without her former co-sponsor, Katie Overbeck, who is out on maternity leave. “It’s not very stressful because we have a bigger cabinet this year and more student leaders,” Wolff said. “We picked a very strong cabinet of supporting people.”

According to Speaker of the House Sunny Huang, the only major change this year is House has more of an issue finding chaperons because of newly required background checks. House encourages teachers to chaperon its events. The next upcoming event is the Alumni Tent for high school alumni at the homecoming football game on Oct. 2.

Huang said she is very excited for this year. “It’s a blast working with cabinet this year. They’re awesome,” Huang said. “I’m really glad more people are getting involved.” There are 300 students in House this year and 25 students in cabinet. Speaker of the House’s job is to work with the sponsor, work with the cabinet and to coordinate events. “It’s mostly just paperwork and planning,” Huang said. “I like to stay organized.” Huang said she plans up to a month ahead. Huang knew from taking student government that she wanted to contribute to the school and be a part of it. She spent two years in Senate before deciding to run for Speaker of the House. “I knew I wanted to play a bigger part,” Huang said.