Funeral scheduled on Sept. 13 for Britany Bohrer

REST IN PEACE: Sophomore Patrick Connery remembers junior Britany Bohrer by writing on a memorial board outside the Dale E. Graham Auditorium in her honor. Bohrer worked with the technical theater department in high school. PHOTO / EMILY PUTERBAUGH

By Michelle Hu

UPDATED 9/11/2009

On Wednesday, Sept. 9, junior Britany Bohrer died of a lifelong battle with cancer at Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis. Bohrer’s funeral will be held on Sunday, Sept. 13 at 2 p.m. in Leppert Mortuary, Smith Carmel Chapel. Afterward, she will be buried in the Carmel Cemetery.

According to Principal John Williams, Bohrer was diagnosed with lymphoma in her early childhood and the disease came back last summer. Lymphoma accounts for about 5 percent of cancer cases and weakens the immune system. Jackie Kennedy and Charles Lindbergh also died of lymphoma.

As a result, Bohrer had not been in school so far this year.

Williams said counselors are available for students who wish to grieve at any time.

Bohrer used to volunteer as a leader at Camp Little Red Door, an organization assisting cancer patients and survivors. As a result, donations will be taken at her funeral for Camp Little Red Door.

“It’s okay to grieve,” Williams said. “There’s no right or wrong way of doing it.”

View Comments (2)
$20
$500

• H

Hope TiffanyMar 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

Britany was my sister. she was there for me always and never stopped fighting. in thick and thin, she always was there for people, and always put people first. even on her deathbed when i asked britany how she was doing she said happily with a smile, “im fine Hope, its getting better and everythings going to be fine.” she always had a smile on her face and made things better wherever she went.
    ~rest in peace sissy~ 090909

Reply
  • K

KelliSep 14, 2009 at 12:33 am

Britany was my cousin. And even though I didnt get to see her as much as I wanted to, I stil loved her, and regret that I didnt act like a better cousin to her. I cant believe she’s gone.. I cant even imagine what thanksgiving will be like without her, not going to her graduation, or just seeing her grow up to be a woman. No one at age 17 deserves to go, and especially not Britany. She never complained, always coped with what she was dealt. She made it sound like it was easy… I just miss her and wish she was still here. I love you Britany, and I cant wait until the day I get to see you and your beauty again.

Reply