Fate of Model U.N. still to be determined

This year’s Model U.N. organization has reached a roadblock . According to the Model U.N. sponsor Tracy Hadden, the callout meeting, usually held in early fall, won’t be announced until she can confirm the event’s continuation.

Hadden said the two coordinators of Model U.N. from IUPUI resigned this summer, so the college is in the process of determining whether they still want to host the event. “I spoke to one of the professors, and he said he would try to arrange it, but I haven’t heard back from him in a long time,” Hadden said. Among other problems is the lack of interest from college students, who in years past organized the event and committee meetings.

Without the IUPUI facility, Hadden said Carmel probably won’t be able to have a Model U.N. team,. “There are other conferences available,” Hadden said. “But they are so expensive and require overnight travel. It’s not practical.”

The event itself is not unpopular. Last year, Carmel alone had more than 100 interested students in addition to the hundreds more that attend the large conference held in March. Up to an expanded limit of 100 sophomores, juniors and seniors who hope to join the team must fill out applications.

“I really hope that Mrs. Hadden finds a sponsor at IUPUI,” Michael Wang, two time Model U.N. delegate and senior, said. “Not only is it a very informative extracurricular activity, but it’s very attractive to young high school students.” By Victor Xu <[email protected]>