Freshmen dive into CHS traditions

The Freshman Class will kick off the year with Homecoming activities during the week of Sept. 28 to Oct. 3.  One big disadvantage the freshmen will have is the unfamiliarity with the school.

“We don’t really know what’s going on,” Freshman Class president Chris Johnson said. “We’re doing the best we can.”

Freshman Class sponsor Kristi Leveque agrees. “It’s a big deal because they’ve never done this before. Everything is new for them.”

Also, the fact that Freshman Class sponsors John Love and Kristi Leveque do not teach in the Freshman Center is a drawback. The distance between their classrooms and the freshmen make communication more difficult. However, these disadvantages will not hold back the newest arrivals to CHS.

“The officers are excellent, motivated and enthusiastic,” Leveque said. “They’re all willing to pitch in. They all work well together. They’re just on it.”

Johnson also agrees that the officer cohesion is strong. “We have great officers this year and the sponsors are helping out a lot,” he said.

Homecoming events include the penny wars, playhouse building, trike races and the 5K Charity Walk/Run, where every class will have a booth.  The booths will be spread out along the 5K route to help participants. The freshmen officers’ responsibility is to make sure the water jugs for the event are filled. This year the Freshman Class will be sponsoring Chaucie’s Place, a nonprofit child advocacy center.

Although the classes do have their specific responsibilities during the 5K, classes are mainly involved in everything, according to Leveque.