Typewoven: Sophomore Reagan Smiley does calligraphy.

+Sophomore+Reagan+Smiley+is+creates+a+piece.+She+said%2C+%E2%80%9CI+do+calligraphy+to+express+myself.%E2%80%9D+
 Sophomore Reagan Smiley is creates a piece. She said, “I do calligraphy to express myself.”

Jordyn Blakey

Jordyn Blakey

When did you become interested in calligraphy?

It was probably a few years ago, probably in the eighth-grade range. I just wanted to explore art and stuff.

Why did you start doing calligraphy?

One reason was because I was bored. Secondly, because I kind of wanted to go more into art and see what I was able to do. That was one of the more easy ways to go about it.

Where do you get your inspiration?

Online, my friends, it just kind of comes to me it depending on what I’m doing at the time.

Reagan Smiley
This photo showcases one of Smiley’s designs. She said her friends inspire some of her artwork. SUBMITTED PHOTO || REAGAN SMILEY.

What is the hardest part about calligraphy?

I’m personally a perfectionist, so making everything look perfect and all the lines neat—that’s kind of difficult. Depending on the way you write it or what pen you use, it’s kind of annoying sometimes.

Jordyn Blakey
Smiley designs a piece of work, and said the easiest part is “thinking of new ideas.”

What tools do you typically use?

It kind of just depends, usually I do it at school or at home after homework or something, so I just grab a pen… usually gel pens. I have some calligraphy pens, but they’re older and kind of dried out.

What are your favorite types of things to make?

It’s just whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I draw with calligraphy (tools), I write over it. Sometimes I just write what I’m feeling, sometimes I just write what my friends tell me to.

What do you think you’ll do with calligraphy in the future?

Hopefully, I can improve because I’m okay now. Hopefully, I can get a lot better. I don’t know, I’d think it’d be cool to write stuff for people. Just explore that kind of art because it helps (me) focus in school. 

0

About the Photographer
Jordyn Blakey, 15 Minutes of Fame Editor
Related Posts:Homework for the Holidays: As winter break starts Dec. 23, students of minority religions reflect on holidays,… Last year, Hannah Kosc, Jewish student and junior, said she was unable to take a day off of school for an important Jewish holiday: Yom Kippur. Instead of reflecting and taking time to spend with her community,...