Muslim Association to plan new ways to help the community

The Muslim Student Association has new plans and new ideas for the second semester. According to the club’s members, the Muslim Student Association has been a safe place for many students with the recent social issues surrounding the Muslim community. Ismail Aqueel, Muslim Student Association student leader and senior, said the newer students are able to express how they feel.

“I think is helps because they get to be in a club where they get to express what they believe,” Ismail said.

The students and club are well into the year and have officially started new activities and fundraisers that will affect many lives. They have already had a visiting speaker.

Sarim Hassan, club member and senior, said “He talked about the Muslim community college and high school and how there are different changes along with how he is treated. It was a really eye opening experience.”

They also have plans to work on cards to give to victims in the synagogue shooting and sell t-shirts to raise money for a fundraiser. The plans to work in a soup kitchen around winter break will continue into this year.

Abraham Fiore, club member and senior, said, “We are actually working on a fundraiser right now for victims of the Rohingya Muslim genocide. We are planning that out but it’s going to be a larger fundraiser that will probably take place after winter break.”

Over all, the year is well on its way, and the Muslim Student Association is helping in every way they can.

Ismail said, “We get to support people because we feel we have gone through similar experiences.”