Choirs to rehearse repertoire for choral showcase, Kouns says

Choir+students+prepare+for+the+upcoming+choir+concert+during+an+after+school+rehearsal.+Kouns+said+tickets+for+the+choral+showcase+are+%245+and+can+be+bought+either+at+the+door+or+in+advance+in+the+performing+arts+department+office.+
Choir students prepare for the upcoming choir concert during an after school rehearsal. Kouns said tickets for the choral showcase are $5 and can be bought either at the door or in advance in the performing arts department office.

The CHS performing arts department is making final preparations for the upcoming choral showcase on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Dale E. Graham Auditorium.

According to director of choirs Katherine Kouns, the choral showcase this year will feature all the choir ensembles excluding the competitive show choirs—Accents, Ambassadors and New Edition. She said this change was implemented because the show choirs have many competitions and rehearsals. She also said the concert will feature repertoire the choirs have been working on since the beginning of the semester and provide a benchmark for students to improve upon during the remainder of the school year.

“Everyone needs to be prepared and focused on doing their best. Especially, there needs to be lots of attention to detail, not only in the singing, but also in the hair, makeup, costuming and traveling on and off stage,” Kouns said. “Mostly, it is a success if the audience has a great time and there is an emotional connection to the performance.”

According to Katie Rosio, Ambassadors member and senior, students in the choirs to be featured at the showcase have been rehearsing in class throughout third quarter. She also said it has been a challenge for students to prepare for the concert as the choirs are in the midst of auditions for next year’s choirs and the show choirs have several upcoming competitions.

Rosio said, “There will be a very wide variety of songs at this concert, including both show choir and choral music. I really hope that the choirs that don’t have the opportunity to compete get their chance to really shine (at the choral showcase).” By Adhi Ramkumar

http://www.carmelchoirs.org