Q&A with next year’s Speaker of the House and Student Body President

Deion Ziwawo, 2019-20 speaker of the House

Why did you decide to run for speaker of the House?

After my first year in Cabinet, I definitely had the idea of being speaker in my mind. That year, I got a feel for what the role would be like and I could see myself potentially wanting to do it. Especially after this year, where I was able to chair Runway for Riley, one of the biggest events we do in Cabinet, I knew completely that being speaker was something I wanted to do. So, after my second year, it really hit me that I wanted to lead the room.

What are some ideas of things you would want to do or change as speaker of the House next year?

In addition to getting the House of Representatives members more involved in our events, one of the big things I want to work on is the mindset people have that if you’re not in House, our events aren’t open for you. I want everyone to feel that House and the events we do are something they can be a part of. Along with that, I want to increase the participation in House. In years past, House has always been really large, so I want to keep that momentum going. Those are both big goals of mine.  

What are you most looking forward to as speaker of the House?

The main thing I am excited for, honestly, as cliche as it sounds, is to have fun with it during my final year in Cabinet and at Carmel High School. Along with that, getting to lead an amazing group of people both in Cabinet and in House is going to make all the work worth it.

Madeline (Maddie) Heath, 2019-20 Student Body President

Why did you decide to run for Student Body President (SBP)?

I really just think that there are things that I would like to do differently and change to make a better impact for the school. I really want to create a community and I feel like SBP is the best position to bring the school together.

What are some ideas of things you would want to do or change as Student Body President next year?

I really would like to reorganize the structure of Senate so we work as efficiently as possible. I would also like to add-on additional and change the current events we have so that they would be more successful.  

What are you most looking forward to as Student Body President?

I am so excited for everything that the position entails. I want to have the opportunity to talk to the school and create a sense of community. I am also so so so excited to just revamp Senate and make new events.