Publications win awards at national convention

Author Archives

Both Carmel High School print publications, the HiLite newspaper and Pinnacle yearbook, earned several awards at this spring’s National journalism convention sponsored by both the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) and the Journalism Education Association, an event which concluded on Sunday in Anaheim, CA.

The HiLite earned Best of Show honors in three categories – first place, newspapers 13 to 16 pages; second place, newspaper special edition (for the Acumen insert); fourth place, online division (for the HiLite Web site, www.hilite.org).

The Pinnacle earned fifth place Best of Show honors in the yearbook 325+ pages division. In addition, the Pinnacle was recognized during the awards ceremony for being a Pacemaker finalist, one of only 52 yearbooks in the country to earn that distinction. Pacemaker awards – the NSPA’s highest honor for publications – are determined prior to the convention and are judged in advance. Best of Show winners are judged on-site and include only those publications that have representatives in attendance at the convention.

This year, 12 CHS students attended the April 17 to 20 convention and all competed in write-off competitions on Friday night. The write-offs require students to compete in a variety of areas – from newswriting to layout and design to photography – during a prescribed time limit. Students compete against other students from the convention for individual awards. Of the 12 CHS students, six of them earned individual recognition during the event. The six are as follows: Jennifer Cannady, superior, yearbook copy/captions clubs; Bennett Fuson, honorable mention, review writing; Navya Kumar, excellent, yearbook copy/captions academics; Lexi Muir, honorable mention, feature writing; Julia Schiffman, honorable mention, photography/two weeks’ work; and Nathan Woeste, honorable mention, yearbook copy/captions sports.

Other students attending the convention were Rosemary Boeglin, Cindy Brentlinger, Tim Chai, Michelle Hu, Maris Schiess and Michael Wang. Also attending the convention were Pinnacle adviser Lisa Morris and HiLite adviser Jim Streisel.

0