Carmel High School newspaper Web site qualifies for Crown competition

The Carmel High School student news Web site, HiLite Online, has been named a Crown Finalist by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA). The results were announced on Feb. 17, 2010 at Columbia University in New York City.

Carmel was one of only 27 scholastic news Web sites in the country – and the only site in Indiana – to be named a finalist. Finalists are winners, not nominees. Each finalist will be revealed as either a Gold or Silver Crown at the awards ceremonies scheduled to take place during CSPA’s 86th annual Convention, on March 19, 2010 in the Roone Arledge Auditorium of the Alfred Lerner Student Center on Columbia’s Morningside Heights campus.

The full list of winners can be found at the CSPA Web site: http://cspa.columbia.edu/

This marks only the second year for the CSPA to recognize online Crown Finalists and the first year for the HiLite to earn that distinction.

The 2009-10 editorial staff consists of seniors Michelle Hu (editor in chief), Rosemary Boeglin and Sarah Sheafer (managing editors) and Mike Jiang and Nishanth Samala (Web editors).

Just last month, the 2008-09 print edition of the HiLite was also named a Crown Finalist, one of only 64 newspaper finalists from around the country and one of only four newspapers in Indiana to earn this distinction. The full article detailing that award can be found here: https://hilite.org/core/staff/awards