School looks to continue trend of increasing SAT scores

Although the average SAT scores fell in the state, this school’s scores rose 17 points between 2007 and 2008. Principal John Williams said he attributes this to the increasing number of challenges that the school has and will continue to set forth for students. According to him, the SAT is a “college success indicator,” so students who have challenged themselves to take more difficult, college-level courses do better. Such opportunities include AP courses, IB classes and the AVID program.

Junior Jeff Hooton is in AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, and said that he expects to score higher on the SAT because of the program. Hooton said, “It’s giving me a great opportunity to prepare myself to do the best I can.”

Williams also said that another important part of school improvement is the Professional Development Committee, which provides activities for staff improvement. Jennifer Marlow, chair of the committee this year and science teacher, said she believes the staff is very motivated to improve their teaching methods and that student learning directly reflects those efforts.

According to Marlow, the SAT scores are a result of teachers’ efforts starting in kindergarten, not just in high school, but the results are still great news. “Anytime you show improvement it’s great, and 17 points is significant,” Marlow said.

Hooton said he agrees that the teachers are very helpful and encouraging in a school that he said has an atmosphere that pushes students to take harder classes. He said he might not have taken the AP classes if not for that atmosphere.
Williams said, “We know that the biggest predictor of college success is course rigor, and we’ve certainly expanded the offerings that we have for students to take tougher courses.” By Amy Flis