Although disappointed, Greyhounds should be grateful

By Hilite Staff

Homecoming at this school has traditionally been a time when students can let out a collective sigh of relief. What’s been a tough half-dozen weeks back in school leads to a day where school pride is king. This year that tradition will change. The time to celebrate will be significantly shorter. However, although tomorrow’s Homecoming day will be different from others in the past, that doesn’t mean pride and gratitude for our school should lessen at all.

Students should note that the changes to the day aren’t because of new administration policies here. Rather, because of a new requirement by the Indiana Department of Education, six hours of “instruction” are required every school day. In the past, this school could “bank” time from its typical eight-hour days so students could dismiss to the stadium after lunch. But this year, schools are no longer permitted to “bank” time, meaning even the beloved tradition that is Homecoming will take place after a six hour “school day.”

Carmel is not alone. This policy is in effect for every school across the state for the well being of everyone. Aside from the “what if’s” that could occur tomorrow with the changed schedule, everyone truly has a lot to be grateful for. The fact that one of the biggest issues here is simply a change in Homecoming schedules, is evidence that everyone does a great job and has a lot to be proud of. Frankly, that’s what the principle of Homecoming day is about. What students will spend six hours doing tomorrow – namely, learning in class – is one of the main reasons why CHS is able to have great traditions in the first place.

As unfortunate as this change may be, many would see this as an opportunity to be killjoys about the situation, but it’s important for students to look beyond their disappointment. Although the traditional events will be shortened, not much else about the day will be different. The traditional trike races will run tonight with the finals taking place tomorrow afternoon along with the Homecoming parade. Groups running booths will still crowd around the stadium. Student bands will still perform. With the exception of the school-wide convocation, the day is nothing more than a compacted version of Homecomings past.

Many argue that CHS is a school of tradition, and no matter the reason for or magnitude of the change, it still takes away from the day. Although it’s sad to see tradition change, the evergreen traditions of hard work and the initiative that allow CHS to have events like Homecoming are still intact. Indeed, they are stronger than ever. The reputation of CHS is strong academics, dominant athletic team and amazing performers; the list goes on and on. Those characteristics should be joined by what flexible individuals and good sports we are when things have to change. It’s unfortunate that the whole  afternoon can’t be dedicated to Homecoming traditions, but the time we do have should be a time of enjoyment for everyone.

Frankly, the administration here could’ve seen the “six hours of instruction” as a reason to stop Homecoming altogether. On the contrary, administrators worked diligently to make a schedule out of the remaining time the state allowed. Administrators here both recognize and respect the  work students do, and in turn they should be respected and thanked for their commitment to both achievement in the classroom and also enjoyment at the events outside of the classroom.

It’s time for students to look forward to another Homecoming day. Although this year may seem a little different from others, what has not changed is the integrity of the students who take part in it. The school pride, professionalism and sportsmanship that students here display are the same as always. There’s little to be upset about, but there are plenty of reasons to be grateful.

It’s up to students to determine what Homecoming day will be like and it should be everyone’s goal to be positive and thankful. And we should always strive to honor the wonderful tradition that is Carmel High School.