Performing arts activities prepare for spring shows

SHOW-OFF: Members of the Accents show choir practice their routine at an after-school rehearsal. Their competitions start on March 10. Amira Malcom / Photo

Band Practices for Jazz at the Ritz

For the 26th year, Carmel jazz bands will perform at an event which includes music, dancing and food, according to jazz band director Andy Cook. However, the tradition has changed for the upcoming show.
This year the event, which has typically taken place at the Indiana Roof Ballroom and was called Jazz at the Roof, will instead be at the Ritz Charles in Carmel on March 16.

In addition to the change in venues, the title has also changed. The new title is Jazz at the Ritz. The change of the name needed to match the venue change, which Cook said was necessary.

“It started to be really expensive to go all the way down to the Roof. We went to the Fountains two years ago, and last year we went to the Ritz. It’s a good location because it’s close and we’re not losing money like we started to with the Roof,” he said.

Nicholas Kniola, member of Jazz 2 and junior, said he likes the new location and setup of the Ritz Charles. This is his third year in jazz band, and he said jazz music is fun to play since it differs drastically from concert music.

While Kniola enjoys playing, he said his favorite part of the event is the dancing. According to Kniola, many jazz band members are also part of the CHS Swing Dance Club, and he has learned dance moves from the club members over the years. Although the band members must play, they also get breaks to dance.

“Since there’s four jazz bands, we get to dance while the others are playing. It’s just a really fun night,” Kniola said.

In addition to Jazz at the Ritz, some members of jazz band will also participate in Ball State University’s Dimensions in Jazz Festival, which will take place on March 3.

According to Cook, this is the first time for jazz bands to attend a convention like this one. He said it should be a good opportunity for the students to attend a festival focused on jazz music.

Kniola said, “This is the first time we’ve gone to a jazz band event outside of school. I’m excited to learn more about jazz music at the festival.”

Cook said the festival will help prepare the students for their performance at Jazz at the Ritz. He said CHS students and members of the community can buy tickets to Jazz at the Ritz in the CHS bookstore, and in addition to music and dancing, there will also be hors d’oeuvres and finger foods.

According to Cook, doors will open at 6 p.m. and music will start at 7 p.m. By Olivia Weprich

Comedy Sportz features upcoming season

According to 11-year Comedy Sportz sponsor Jim Peterson, the team has been rehearsing every Friday after school since September. The season started on Feb. 17, with more matches scheduled for March 12 and April 13.

“To prepare for the season we have been learning about the match, and what types of games there are. We also support what’s happening downtown (the adult league) and learn the different skills they do,” Peterson said.

Comedy Sportz is a team that consists of six players. Four players participate at a time while the other two players are alternates or also known as ‘Mr. Voice’ or ‘Mr. Sound Effect.’ The players on the team are not allowed to use a script to help aid their performance. The basic gist of Comedy Sportz is that the players play games, which are centered around acting. There is a game where the referee will take suggestions from the audience and the teams have to incorporate the suggestion selected into the scene.

“What I love about Comedy Sportz is the team aspect. It’s great to work together. Also I love playing games and that’s basically all we do. My favorite game is ‘5 Things.’ Everyone hates it, but I think it’s a test of all the things, you know, for improv. What I’m looking forward to is finally getting to be on stage,” senior Jillian MacNulty, who has been on the team for two years, said.

“The auditions are always fun and I get some fun students on the team,” said Peterson. Tickets for the matches are on sale at the bookstore for $5. By Kayla Walker

Show choirs start competitions

It’s no understatement to say that Accent and junior Jordan Smith lives and breathes show choir. After months of during-and-after school rehearsals, she, along with the rest of the Accents, will kick off the competition season on March 10, while the Ambassadors already started their season last Saturday at Homestead High School.

“(The Accents) have three-hour practices every Monday and Wednesday in addition to our hour-and-a-half practices in class every other day. It’s a lot but I think it’ll be worth it when the lights go up for the competition,” Smith said.

According to Lamonte Kuskye, the director of the Ambassadors, the Ambassadors will have three competitions this season on Feb. 18, March 10 and March 17, and the Accents will have two on March 10 and March 17. All of the competitions will take place at high schools in the state of Indiana. Additionally, there will be a choral showcase at this school on March 21 for the community to watch both show choirs perform their competition sets.

“Normally all of the Accents and Ambassadors go to the same competitions. However, this year, because director (Ann) Conrad was gone first semester with her cancer, the Accents are going to wait until the second competition to join the Ambassadors in competing and the Ambassadors will go out three weeks early on their own,” Kuskye said.

Conrad has since returned to school this semester to direct the Accents. The Ambassadors, a mixed gender choir, have five numbers in their set, and the Accents, an all-female choir, have four. The Accents have been competing as a group for the past nine years, and, after a 20-year absence, the Ambassadors rejoined the show choir competition circuit in March 2007 and now have been competing annually for the past six years.

“We usually try to run about a 15 to 20-minute show, which is right about where we’re at,” Kuskye said. “We’re getting excited and we’re right on track with rehearsals for where we should be to be ready (for the competitions) in time.”

Smith, who, like many of the other Accents, has never competed before, said, “I’m equally excited for both competitions because this is my first year being in show choir. I can’t wait to see what it’s like.” By Lindsey Walker