Staff members Acton and Pasanen, who have been dating for nine months, give advice on relationships

w.loveexperts.2.14SHOULD A COUPLE BREAK UP BECAUSE OF COLLEGE?

Taylor: It kind of depends on the relationship. College relationships are different from high school relationships. However, just because a couple isn’t going to the same school doesn’t mean it can’t work. It just takes a lot of commitment on both ends.

Case: If you are going to different schools, yes. It would be way too hard to stay with someone if you are miles apart. If you are going to the same school and you still want to be with the person, then why not?

HOW MUCH TIME IS TOO MUCH TIME TOGETHER?

Taylor: Case and I have classes together, have the same group of friends and hang out most weekends, so when he was searching for a job, I told him not to apply where I worked. You have to understand that everyone needs a little space. It takes a while, but you need to learn how to balance out time for your relationship and also balance the other aspects of your life.

SHOULD THE GUY PAY FOR EVERYTHING?

Taylor: I don’t think the guy should have to pay for everything. Dating in high school is expensive. They pay for gas, take you out to dinner and pay not only for their food, but for the girl’s. It’s not a bad idea to help out every now and then.

Case: It depends. The guy should always pay when he asks the girl to go on a date or takes her somewhere.

HOW FAST IS TOO FAST?

Case: You need to take time to get to know the other person before you commit to being in a relationship with them. There are many factors you need to take into consideration before making a big decision. I’d say, realistically, a few months is a good amount of time to get to know someone before you ask them out.

WHAT IS CONSIDERED TOO MUCH PUBLIC DISPLAY OF AFFECTION?

Taylor: I don’t think it’s a big deal for a couple to hold hands or anything like that, but as soon as people start kissing in the hallway it gets to be too much. We get that you love each other, but you can go 90 minutes without touching.

IS IT OKAY TO BE FRIENDS WITH EXES? HANG OUT WITH A FRIEND OF THE OPPOSITE SEX ALONE?

Taylor: It depends. Some of my best friends are guys. Whenever I plan on being alone with them I definitely talk to Case about it first. Just be honest and take into consideration how you would feel if it was the other way around.

Case: As far as exes, it varies based on how long ago the relationship was and how serious of a relationship you were in with the other person. If it was a big deal and there is a potential for there to still be feelings there, then I would say no. It’s unfair to the person you are currently in a relationship with. Hanging out with a friend of the opposite sex alone is okay, as long as you talk to your significant other beforehand and make sure they know the person and are okay with it.

IS THERE A PURPOSE TO BEING IN A HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONSHIP?

Taylor: The key to high school relationships is to not take them too seriously. Never let a relationship define you. It should be a learning experience for you to see what kind of person you are and what kind of person you’re looking for. Sometimes one person is more invested in the relationship than the other, and this can lead to stress and heartbreak.

Case: It’s a good way to find out who you work well with, what kind of person you like and sometimes even the type of person you don’t work with. The only downside is that relationships sometimes end badly, but the benefits definitely outweigh the risks.