A Memorable Show: CHS Choirs to perform in upcoming ‘Holiday Spectacular’

A Memorable Show: CHS Choirs to perform in  upcoming ‘Holiday Spectacular’

CHS choirs will perform evening and afternoon matinee showings of their annual Holiday Spectacular show in the auditorium from Dec. 2 to 6. According to Emily Urbanski, Ambassadors member and senior, Holiday Spectacular will revolve around holiday music, dance numbers, choral pieces and mass numbers, in which multiple groups perform together on stage.

Choir director Kathrine Kouns said this year’s show, titled “Somewhere in My Memory,” will feature recollections of past holidays.

“The whole show is a walk down memory lane of the holidays gone by; things like memories of playing in the snow, memories of ice skating, memories of decorating trees, or memories of beinScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.37.35 AMg with family,” Kouns said. “Then there are other aspects of it, including memories of religious services, candlelight, Hanukkah, or just loved ones.”

In addition to the main performance, Kouns said students will sing Christmas carols in the lobby prior to the show and during intermission.

Urbanski said this year’s Holiday Spectacular sets itself apart from previous years’ shows due to the choirs’ level of preparedness.

“I feel like this year we’re really taking it above it and beyond to make it so that the students want to come out and the community wants to see it,” she said.

Kouns said planning for this year’s show began during last year’s performance. The directors finalized the music last spring and shopped for costumes as early as June. Students received music immediately after their fall concert in September and will rehearse for about seven weeks.

Aside from new music, costumes and choreography, Kouns said the production will also involve new technical elements and the new acapella group, Select Sound. New Edition, a recently reformed group with only sophomore members, will also perform.

Matthew Moon, Select Sound and New Edition member and sophomore, said New Edition’s choreographed piece is “Boogie Woogie Santa Claus.” Select Sound will sing a Pentatonix arrangement of “Let It Go.”

According to Moon, December’s show will feature a significantly higher amount of mass numbers than last year. Kouns said mass numbers were usually lined up at the opening or close of the show.

Urbanski said the mass numbers presented the biggest challenge while preparing. However, she said executing songs well was also rewarding.

“Getting 550 students to stand there, sing together, breathe together and cut off together (is the hardest part about Holiday Spectacular),” she said. “It’s crazy, but the moment that you get it is just this magical moment. You get so excited.”

For her part, Kouns said the most difficult aspect of the entire show was keeping the show interesting.

“I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s still a holiday show, although there’s fabulous holiday music out there,” she said. “But there are only so many different ways that you can do things. Making it fresh and new and exciting, not only for the audience but also particularly for the students, who have to spend two months learning all that music. (It) is a challenge every year. But it’s one we’re up for. As much as sometimes (holiday) music is repeated year after year, there’s also a kind of nostalgia that comes with hearing those old songs again. It just really brings you back to your memories from when you were younger.”

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.37.01 AMAccording to Moon, the amount of commitment  choir members devote to the show’s music distinguishes it from other concerts.

“What makes Holiday Spec so different is just the amount of time you spend there. You have more performances, (and) you have a lot more rehearsal,” he said. “It’s Christmas music instead of normal music, and everyone in choir loves Christmas music.”

Urbanski said watching the choir improve adds to the appeal of Holiday Spectacular.

“From a performer’s standpoint, seeing groups bust out and work hard for it because everybody loves Holiday Spec and it’s our big show. Seeing the growth from our first concert to now and how much effort people are willing to put in to succeed in their show like that (is the most interesting part),” she said.

Urbanski also said her favorite part about the show is watching other groups perform in between the numbers.

“Everybody just bonds and you really solidify your friendships,” she said. “I think it’s really great because you’re in a place where you have a common connection of performing, and you all have fun, happy adrenaline running through you. Everybody just wants to hang out with everyone. It’s really nice getting to watch everyone and support each other.”

Moon said the time period around the show is an exciting time of year for him and other choir members.

“Holiday Spec is what defines the holiday season for the choir kids,” he said. “There are spirit days during rehearsal. It’s really fun and you get to spend so much time with all your friends in choir. It’s just a great time of year.”

According to Kouns, Holiday Spectacular sets the mood for the rest of the holiday season.

“With it being the very beginning of December, I think it really is like the kickoff to the holiday season for a lot of people,” she said. “It just really makes you feel like it’s finally the season, seeing the audience embrace the feeling of the holidays and seeing how our students can give back to all of them, this kind of gift for the season. I just really enjoy the atmosphere and the air…just kind of that excitement of, ‘Here it is. It’s the holiday season.’”