BROADCASTING ATHLETES: Student broadcasters help develop CHS athletics through coverage of CHS sports

sdjfsdfsdfosdf. KYLE CRAWFORD // PHOTO
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 1.58.40 PM
AIRING LIVE FROM THE TURF: JD Arland, CHTV Sports Director and junior previews a football game last year with CHS graduate ‘16 Adrian Jarding. Arland said he loves commentating on games. SUBMITTED // PHOTO

After school in a hidden corner of the communications department, Brady Klain, WHJE student broadcaster and senior, unlocks a closet. He props the door open and pulls out two bulky, heavy suitcases filled with various different pieces of equipment used to allow someone to broadcast to a radio station from anywhere. He then closes the door and leaves school with everyone else, heading to the game.

Klain later arrives at Murray Stadium for the varsity lacrosse game, along with many parents and other students there to support the team. He walks past the bleachers and up to an empty room. Klain begins to set up, putting on a pair of headphones with an accompanying microphone.

Once the game begins, Klain and his partner begin to give play-by-play detail of what’s happening on the field and add in information about various players. Throughout the entire game they remain focused on only the game, never losing the passion they began with. After the game ends, Klain returns the equipment and begins to prepare for the next one.

Klain is a part of a smaller demographic within CHS athletics, sports broadcasters. At almost every varsity game, both CHTV and WHJE have a group of students present to broadcast the games for those unable to be there and also to gain professional-like experience.

“Sports broadcasting, for me, is covering everything Carmel sports,” Klain said.

Brian Spilbeler, WHJE station manager and adviser, said there are many different aspects when it comes to sports broadcasting.

“The first thing people talk about would be play-by-play and color of (the) game,” Spilbeler said. Play-by-play entails describing what is happening on the field and “color” is adding in commentary regarding players, strategies and other details that will assist the listener in understanding the game.

Spilbeler also discussed the many other aspects included in sports broadcasting, like pregame, postgame and halftime shows and also sideline reporting.

“One thing we’ve tried to do is expand beyond just the play-by-play and color of games at this station,” Spilbeler said, “and really try to do more of the other things as well.”

For all intents and purposes, sports broadcasters become a part of the team. They go to practices, team meetings and every game. They also form relationships with everyone on the team, both players and coaches. Many times they are familiar with varsity sports, being athletes themselves, and already have existing relationships with players and coaches.

“(The broadcasters) go to the away games, they are at the home games, they’re talking to the coaches, they’re talking to the players and in some cases,” Spilbeler said, “(they) will go to practices.”

Klain said coaches are very accommodating and welcoming to the broadcasters, giving them many different types of information to assist in their broadcasts.

“I was able to sit in on (coaches’) meetings and listen to their game plans and see everything that’s going on in preparation for the upcoming games,” Klain said.

Klain said the coaches will give them information regarding players from both teams and also scouting reports. “We talk to them whenever we need to,” Klain said, “and they’re always awesome with information.”

“(The broadcasters) connect with the team and identify with the team,” Spilbeler said, “and really what (they) try to be is an extension of that team.”

In addition to coaches, many athletes said they enjoy being involved in the interviews and different shows both CHTV and WHJE produce.

Jordan “JD” Arland, CHTV broadcaster and junior, said interviewing athletes allow for them to be seen in a different light than they normally are portrayed in.

“When they can see themselves grow and they can see themselves recognized because of what we do,” Arland said, “they’re going to grow as an athlete, and they’re going to grow as a person.”

“Athletes tend to be very accommodating when it comes to requests,” Spilbeler said. “They like being interviewed.” Spilbeler explained how the station uses the different shows to highlight different student athletes and the work that goes into both training and maintaining their grades.

Klain said in order to get into contact with athletes, they talk to other athletes they know personally on the teams. “We’re really just friends with a lot of these athletes,” Klain said, “so it’s all about who you know.”

Broadcasting for CHS athletics allows broadcasters like Klain and Arland to travel all around the state, travelling to places like Lucas Oil Stadium or Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

“We’ll sit up in the press box or we’ll sit pretty much anywhere they’ll let us in an opposing stadium,” Arland said.

Klain said since CHS has a superior athletic program, many people from around the country will listen to their broadcasts of many different sports.

“We’ve had people from opposing schools contacts us being like, ‘Hey, how can we listen to the game? We know your station; we love listening to it,” Klain said.

“It takes a special type of person to be in (the sports) department,” Spilbeler said. “They are really dedicated to what they are doing.”

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 1.58.52 PM