Main cafeteria, natatorium to undergo renovations over the summer

Aquatics center director Nicole Bills said that the aquatics center has started spring programming. “The club has been busy with swim meets every weekend to finish their championship seasons,” said Bills.

This upcoming summer, renovations will update the main cafeteria and natatorium. In the natatorium, the construction will assist with ventilation. Changes in the cafeteria will make the process of getting lunch more practical and offer self-serve options.

Theresa Quade, main cafeteria food service manager, said, “We’re going to have islands for areas where kids can help themselves, areas where we will serve, areas where you’ll be able to see what’s being cooked and how it’s being cooked and of course you’ll even have all those smells that go along with it.”

According to Quade, the cafeteria is not expanding, but construction will work on the space already present and focus on modernizing it.

Additionally, there will be islands specially dedicated to types of food. Some of these islands include a comfort zone, a grill zone and a fresh food bar. There will also be a creative zone with food like teriyaki, lo mein and spicy beef, cooked and served right in front of students. Similar to the past structure, the menu of the cafeteria will vary day to day.

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 11.40.30 AMQuade said the main goal of the project is to allow students to serve themselves. Quade said she believes construction is necessary for change.

“Quite frankly, (main cafeteria) just needed a total overhaul. It hasn’t been done in years, and we wanted something new, fresh and appealing,” Quade said. “We’re hoping it will be easier for the students to get around and, hopefully, in and out of the cafeteria line quickly, so they can sit down and enjoy their lunch.”

Quade said while the two other cafeterias have been renovated recently, main cafeteria has not been worked on for a long time.

In June, the natatorium will be closed for construction, according to Roger McMichael, associate superintendent for business affairs. McMichael said the roof over the pool, metal roof deck and the ventilation system will be repaired.

“While all of the parts being upgraded were already up-to-date and met code requirements, we are looking to improve the overall standard of the natatorium with these changes,” McMichael said.

McMichael said last month, the Carmel Clay school board approved a bid for  $600,000 from Myer’s Construction Project for the natatorium renovations.

Swimmer and sophomore Brinley Barton is excited for the new changes.

Barton said, “Probably most people won’t even notice a change on the outside, I think the new changes will enhance the comfort level for the swimmers and the people who come to watch us. I know they’re mostly doing the construction because it was needed, but I also think they recognize the swim team is expanding quickly and they are rewarding us for winning the state championship.”

Swimmer and sophomore Kathleen “Katie” Dougherty said she agrees with Barton.

“Once the ventilation is better, it will be a lot easier to breathe for everyone in the natatorium. Obviously, the room gets really stuffy with all the chlorine, but hopefully the construction will address this problem,” she said.