YOUR SOURCE FOR CHS NEWS

Music To My Ears: Q&A with freshman Chendi Liu, who competes in piano

Freshman Chendi Liu plays at competition. Liu said she began competing when she was five years old.

Cory Steele, 15 Minutes Editor

How long have you been playing the piano?

I’ve been playing piano for 9 years.

Why did you start playing?

I started playing piano at 5 and I thought it was a cool instrument. I had friends who played and all the songs sounded beautiful. It was the innocent type of fascination with such a huge instrument.

Like any other kid, I wanted to quit after a while. My parents obviously didn’t let me. Then when I was 12, one day my mom just goes “you can quit if you want to.” Actually considering the possibility made me realize how much I actually liked playing the piano and, truthfully, I also didn’t quit because that would’ve meant I had wasted so much of my time already, practicing on a daily basis. Soon, I came to love playing piano.

Freshmen Chendi Liu and Iris Yan compete in a duet.

When did you start competing?

I started competing when I was 6 years old.

Can you talk a little about how you compete?

I do many competitions, most of which are annual, and I do some of the same every year. I practice piano every day. Music is generally my focus. I do piano and then singing and musical theatre stuff.

How do you practice and prepare for competition?

I usually focus on two or three pieces at a time and work to perfect the articulation, technique, style, and interpretation