Fashion Show planned for May 14

Fashion Show planned for May 14

From miniskirts to crop tops to ponchos to skinny jeans, fashion teacher Judy Fisher said she certainly has seen many fashion trends come and go in her past fifteen years teaching here. However, the one thing that has truly remained constant since she began teaching this course in 1997 is the annual fashion show, which is traditionally put on by all of the fashion students during SRT at the beginning of May.

According to Fisher, this year will be no exception. The 15th anniversary of the show scheduled for SRT on May 14 in the auditorium promises to carry on the tradition of showcasing each of the 202 students’ individual flair.

“I started the first fashion show the first year I came to teach here fifteen years ago,” Fisher said. “All fashion students participate and can pick any ensemble they have made this school year to walk in the show, so we get a lot of diversity in different fashion tastes like that.”

The purpose of the fashion show, according to Fisher, is to allow the rest of the student body to see the talent of their peers. Students in the first three years of fashion design classes are given four tickets while fourth year students will receive five tickets. Non-students, however, such as adults, do not require a ticket, and admission for them is free.

“We go, and we cheer for the different sports, and we support the arts and the choirs and the orchestras,” Fisher said. “Now it’s fun to share this with the rest of the student body, since designing clothes is just one more thing that the students at Carmel High School do really well.”

One of those students is Caroline Brooks, a Fashion and Textiles 3-4 student and junior. While this is her second year taking the class, it will be the first year she gets to participate in the  fashion show.

“Last year I didn’t get to do (the fashion show) because my AP exam was on the same day,” Brooks said. “I was really disappointed but this year I think I’m even more excited than the other students since it’s been such a build-up for me.”

All of the students model their own clothes and receive a participation grade for their involvement. To make sure that the students look professional on stage and to keep the show running smoothly, Fisher said that some years she and the two other fashion teachers have had a modeling agency come in and help the girls with their walks.

“They teach them how to do their turns and walk, and it’s really fun,” Fisher said. “Since we did that last year, though, we’re not doing it this year, so me or the girls that have done it before will work with the (less-experienced) girls instead.”

Brooks said she agrees with Fisher that practicing the runway walks is fun for the girls and helps them feel more prepared when it comes time to take the stage during the actual show.

“(When we) practice our walks it’s pretty funny actually. I’m not really graceful and can’t really walk in a straight line. If I fall during the show or anything I’d probably just laugh it off and keep going,” Brooks said.

The fashion students put all the aspects of the show together, and the Technical Department puts together the stage and the runway, making it appear as a professional show. Fisher said last year was the first year in its history that the fashion show made a big change to its structure.

“Last year was the best show we’ve ever had because the people who are in charge of the auditorium, Mr. Seileg and Mr. Havey, had this great, huge “Project Runway” screen and they built a ramp out,” Fisher said. “I don’t know if we’re going to do the same thing this year but I hope we do.”

In addition to designing and creating the garments, the fashion students are also responsible for designing the programs and making commercials to advertise the show on CHTV, according to Fisher.

Fisher said she urges all CHS students lucky enough to snag a ticket from a fashion student to run “as fast as you can” down to the auditorium after being released from SRT.

Fisher said, “The students that are lucky enough to get a ticket will be awe-struck and amazed by the talent of their peers.”