Senate plans for Gatsby-themed party to take place on Jan. 24

George Gemelas, student body president and senior, plans the winter dance along with other events during his free period. This year’s winter dance will be Great Gatsby-themed and will take place on Jan. 24. NATALIA CHAUDHRY / PHOTO

Senate members plan to host the first CHS Gatsby-themed party on Jan. 24 from approximately 8:30 to 11:00 p.m. in the fieldhouse, according to Student Body President George Gemelas.

Usually during this time of the year, Senate members organize the Neon Dance. However, this year, the group plans to host the Gatsby party in its place.

Gemelas said, “I think that initially (the Neon Dance) was really fun, but just like with any event, it has declined in terms of popularity, so we are getting rid of that and starting up a new event.”

Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz said, “They are trying to come up with something that would be more popular among students.”

Mary Caltrider, Gatsby party committee member and sophomore, said that as a Senate member, she thinks it is important to make changes to events throughout the years if they have to.

“The Neon Dance just wasn’t getting the right amount of attention. We knew we had to change something. I think it’s important to take that step to change it,” Caltrider said, “So that’s what we are doing right now, we are taking that first step by introducing the (Gatsby Party).”

According to Caltrider, Senate members originally planned to incorporate a Sadie Hawkins theme into the party, requiring girls to bring dates to the event. Gemelas said this idea was eventually vetoed due to uncertainty about whether it would interest enough students.

“(When we asked around), we kind of got poor responses for (the Sadie Hawkins theme),” Gemelas said. “Some people were really excited, and other people were not as excited. A girl would have to ask a guy, and a lot of people are not looking for that.”

Due to this reason, Senate members have decided to go along with the Gatsby theme for the event.

“I think it’s an exciting theme. I know I am excited. I know Senate is excited. I just think it has this glamour and posh look that we are looking for,” Gemelas said.

According to Gemelas, the party will be held after the basketball game, and a tailgate is scheduled for the same day.

Caltrider, said Senate collaborated with Big Game to encourage students at the basketball game to come to the event. Big Game agreed to have a suit-and-tie theme that day, so that those who attend the basketball game can go to the Gatsby party without having to change.

Foutz said that so far, Senate is still in the early stages of planning the event, and the next step for the group is to start advertising it to the CHS student body.

“Whether (the party) will be popular or not depends on the publicity there is and how well (Senate) advertises it,” she said.

According to Gemelas, Senate is looking to have a student DJ and possibly some snacks at the event. However, these ideas have not been finalized yet.

Gemelas said tickets will be sold before the event and at the door. Although ticket prices have not been determined, Gemelas said he expects them to cost around $5.

The money collected will go towards paying for expenses of the party as well as to a charity, according to Caltrider. The specific charity has not been chosen yet.

Gemelas said that this event will be different from other events held throughout the year mainly because of its appeal to all grade levels.

“Homecoming was more popular amongst the younger two grades, and Prom, the older two grades. Hopefully, this party will be something that everyone will enjoy,” he said.

“It will be successful at our school because we have an awesome group of Senators,” Gemelas said, “We are so enthusiastic, and we are planning so far ahead. We are going to go all out.”

Chu.GatsbyChaudhry.speakups.Gatsby