Students help to provide safe drinking water

a.web.George
Claudia Benz (right), co-founder of The Thirst Project, and fellow club member and senior, Kelsey Berlinger (left)prepare for a club fundraiser. The club has raised almost $500 to promote awareness of unsafe drinking water.

The Thirst Project is a nonprofit organization that represents the bigger organization, according to club sponsor Kara House. The club works to aid those in need of clean drinking water by building fresh water wells in many different countries.
According to co-president and senior Claudia Benz, the club also raises awareness about the problem that some people don’t have enough water or clean water to drink.
Benz said, “We take how much water we have for granted. We dump out our water bottles, and we use a lot of water in the shower, and there are people who don’t even have any water to drink.”
With freshwater wells, it is much healthier for villagers to obtain water because they won’t be drinking dirty water that could lead to disease, according to House.
The club was created last year and raised $500. According to House, the goal this year is much higher because club members are trying to raise more awareness and because one well costs $20,000 to build. The club will have a big fundraiser in the spring. and currently, it has booths at local events to try to raise money, according to House.
House said, “The Thirst Project is made for high school students because they can understand that they can make a difference, and they don’t have to be adults to do that. Every single dollar that you give will go directly to helping a child get fresh water.”