College Board introduces reforms for spring 2016 including optional essay, different score

+SAT+prep+tutor+Edgar+Huang+hosts+an+online+class+that+trains+students+for+the+SAT.+Huang+said+the+biggest+change+is+how+the+essay+will+be+tested+because+it+now+requires+evidence.+ALEX+YOM+%2F+PHOTO
SAT prep tutor Edgar Huang hosts an online class that trains students for the SAT. Huang said the biggest change is how the essay will be tested because it now requires evidence. ALEX YOM / PHOTO

College Board made some serious noise last month when it announced that it will roll out a redesigned SAT in spring 2016. The most notable changes include an overall score switch from 2400 to 1600, a shortened time length and a shift of focus to the three core sections: evidence-based reading and writing, math and the essay.  Additionally, the essay will become optional and no penalty will be given for incorrect answers. The College Board has also partnered with Khan Academy in order to provide affordable test preparation materials to those students who are part of low-income households. Carly Lindauer, senior director of external communications at College Board, said a change was needed and the test responds to those needs.

“Our members, including admission officers, school counselors, teachers and students, have called on us to change the SAT and go beyond assessment to deliver opportunity. The redesigned SAT will ask students to apply a deep understanding of the few skills and content areas most important for college and career readiness. The questions will be more familiar to students because they’ll be modeled on the work of the best classroom teachers,” Lindauer said via email.

Zach Gartenhaus, who has already taken the test twice and is part of the first freshman class to take the new SAT, said he cited some pros and cons to the sweeping reforms.

“I like the changes to the length of the test because I think it will allow people to focus more and be able to really show what they can do,” Gartenhaus said.

Edgar Huang, who teaches a local SAT prep class, said he anticipates the biggest adjustment will be in the essay writing. However, he said, the most profound change is not actually in the optional component of it but rather the general stylistic format of the paper.

“The biggest change in the whole list is how the essay is going to be tested. Because in the old days you would be given a topic, you would write on it by using examples from books, from news, from wherever,” Huang said. “The new change insists that you must be evidence-based.”

However, Lindauer mentioned the preparation for these changes, essay included, is going to have a focus around strong work in the classroom.

“The redesigned SAT will reward productive use of classroom time and a focus on rigorous course work. Rigorous course work will be, more than ever, the best preparation for the SAT. As test day approaches, students can access the free preparation materials provided by the College Board and Khan Academy to get to know the exam and to build on their preparation with targeted review and practice,” Lindauer said.

Gartenhaus said he is glad the changes were implemented and also said he expects everybody else to like them as well.

“I think the majority of kids will like it because it makes the test a lot less difficult. Kids will be able to guess on questions and narrow answers down by using logic which will help them,” Gartenhaus said.

Lindauer ultimately said the new SAT will provide opportunity to students in a variety of ways.

“Our goal is to support college readiness and success for more students and to make sure that those who are prepared take full advantage of the opportunities they’ve earned through their hard work,” Lindauer said.

Liu.SATchanges.4.24