Girl’s golf team optimistic about its chances

The next varsity girl’s golf match versus Anderson and Brebeuf is on Thursday, September 8 at 5 p.m. Sophomore Sophia Kelner shot a 37 in last Wednesdays match versus Noblesville and hopes to lead her team to victory on Thursday. “I made a putt from the green. I was playing really well that day.”

Senior Briana Midkiff practices her swing at the driving range at Prairie View Golf Course.

Varsity girls golf coach Ken Kelly is optimistic about their chances. “I think that we’ve got a lot of talent on the team, we are a little bit inexperienced so I’m having them practice playing the courses because we’re young. We have one senior, two sophomores, and two freshmen in our top five.”

The girl’s team is coming off of a phenomenal year last year when they finished runners-up in the state. Their goals for this year are clear. “At the Sectional we would like to beat the top three teams, and the top three teams at Regional, and get back to State and have an opportunity to get to the final day,” Kelly said.

“I only have two returning starters from the state runner-up team, senior Briana Midkiff and sophomore Makenzie Curtis, so that will be a big help but it’s usually your depth that makes a difference in the State tournament so we have already played out there once and whatever happens, happens,” Kelly said.