Succeeding the Seniors. Students need to determine if new Senior Transition to College program is best fit.

For some students, the dream of time off could come true next year. Starting in the fall of 2016, administrators plan to implement a new program that will allow seniors time to leave the building during the school day. The program will only be open to those who take at least four rigorous courses. According to Principal John Williams, the purpose for this is so that seniors can better adjust to a collegiate schedule. This follows the recent finals schedule change for the same reason, making it obvious this school has a shifting focus toward adjusting students to college. While the decision to adjust the schedule will have many rewards, students should be careful when selecting a program that is best for them. Not all choices may be the best for everyone.

Like all other schedule and class changes in the past few years, there is a lot for students to consider before committing. The requirements set in place to participate in the new senior schedule will allow a large population of the school to be eligible; however, eligibility does not equate to ability. Some students may take four fully weighted classes for the first time and find themselves unable to cope with the increased stress and rigor. Colleges will take into account students’ senior year grades, and finishing high school in a rushed panic is not going to represent the work students want under consideration. If a counselor advises students against participating, it is in their best interest to reconsider their choice.

Students’ goal for involvement in the new program should not be to spend a day in bed binge-watching the latest season of their favorite show on Netflix. If students choose to participate, they should use the time to study, get a job or do other productive tasks. This holds true for everyone and not just those who are new to fully weighted classes. If a student would normally consider taking a majority of weighted classes and plan to participate in the program, he or she should not use this as a get-out-of-school-free card.

We applaud administrators for making these changes, but students should realize changes in school policy involve far more work than students see; it is up to students to make them work.  All underclassmen weighing whether the new senior schedule is right for them, they need to consider why they want to take part and whether the program would actually be beneficial in the long run. It is not an excuse to avoid work; it is an opportunity for more freedom in students’ ability to work and consequently be successful.