CHS: There’s no need to apologize for your size

By HiLite Staff

The size of this school has been a debate for a long time. Many say this school is too big and too expansive. They argue that there are too many students in each class per each teacher, and because of that, students aren’t getting adequate help and one-on-one instructions and with enrollment growing each year, the arguments against the high school monstrosity grow as well.

The truth is, CHS could not be what it is today without its massive size. Many overlook the unique opportunities found at CHS that many other high schools lack. The athletic achievement, advanced communications department, the expansion of the performing arts department and variety of honors and AP classes are only a few examples of
the activities we have.

If a person utters CHS’s name to any surrounding schools in relation to sports, they all think one thing, “They’re good.” This school has this reputation from years of dominance over schools; one reason is because CHS has always been a big school compared to others. CHS has always had the most students to choose from when picking sports rosters, and more students means a better variety of good students. Even though many can complain about the selectiveness of CHS sports and can argue the unfairness of playing time for one student versus another, few can argue that these facts alone have determined CHS’s athletic success over the years.

But that success is not limited to the athletic fields. Carmel’s size means benefits in other areas as well. Last year, CHTV and WHJE completed total renovations and a complete revamp. More than $1 million was dedicated to the project, giving CHS the best and technologically advanced communications departments country. Without CHS’s huge size and the dedication of students in both the radio and television classes, this project wouldn’t have taken place. And is why no other school’s can compete with our communications department. In addition, the HiLite newspaper and Pinnacle yearbook also win numerous state and national awards for their superior products.

Academically, while many argue that CHS’s size leads to a lack of individualized attention for students, thus creating
lesser academic value to the school, this is actually quite the opposite. Considering numerous students here are
National Merit winners, National Merit finalists, score 5’s on AP exams and go on to attend prestigious universities, one could argue that the rigor of this school’s courses actually offer one of the best high school academic programs in the nation.

In fact, in terms of individual class sizes that many argue to be too large, are on par with most other schools. And in fact, this larger size provides students with a chance to interact and meet new people, as well as learn to go to their teachers if they are in need of help, instead of relying on the teachers to come to their rescue, which is nonexistent at the college level. Preparation for college and other after high school plans is another definite plus to CHS’s large student body. The transition for students from a high school to college setting could be a frightening task for many, but the school’s size, spirit and high expectations create a setting similar to many universities.

Although a little over 4,000 students would be considered a small college, CHS students would find it easier to go from 4,000 students to 44,000 students, rather than a student in a school with only 1,000 students. This transition is much easier for students at CHS.

So while many would say CHS is simply too large, it most definitely is not. Without its size, this school would not be the prestigious institution that has set it apart for so many years. Therefore it’s time to stop complaining for the size of this school and time instead to start embracing the benefits that a large school like Carmel has to offer.