Icehounds Blue to play HSE B on Nov. 12 at HSE

Icehounds Blue looks to play the Hamilton Southeastern High School B team on Nov. 12 at HSE starting at 3 p.m. Under Head Coach Mike Christie, the IceHounds have experienced success as the Icehounds Blue won the 2A Championship and the Icehounds Gold won the 4A State Championship.

“ I have been a part of the Carmel Hockey program since 2012 and I am very excited to be coaching the Blue team this year. Our on-ice practice is Tuesday 9 to 10:15 p.m. and Wednesday 8:15 to 9:30 p.m. at the Carmel Ice Stadium.  We also have a weekly off-ice strength/conditioning practice (Monday or Thursday at 7 p.m). We are looking to win the 2A State Championship title again this year,” Christie said via email.

Trent “Beef” Franklin, captain and senior, has been on the Blue team ever since his sophomore year.

“On the face off, I’m either on the left or right side when the puck drops, so when we are defending, my job is to stop the opposing defensemen so that they don’t get shots off the zone. Then, in the offensive zone, it is all loosey-goosey so it doesn’t matter that much. I went from being the weird kid on the team freshman year to the captain my senior year. As a team, it changes so much because we have new players every single year. My freshman year was the best team I was on so far. Sophomore year sucked. Junior year was decent, this year looks pretty good though. This is Coach Christie’s first year on the blue team as Head Coach, he was video coach my freshman year. He has been on staff for as long as I can remember. Sophomore year’s head coach ascended to Gold team.” Franklin said.

Ali Sinnett, left winger and senior, is the only girl on the Blue team. She started playing on the team under Coach Adam Norris last season.

“The coaches were pretty cool about having me on the team because they were more worried about whether or not I would be able to keep up rather than about the fact that I was the only girl. I was just another player, it didn’t really have anything to do with gender. I did talk to Dan Desmond, the Gold team’s Head Coach, last year before trying out. The guys have been helpful this year about integrating me into the team, especially more than last year. I like Coach Christie because he is very straightforward in what he wants and he doesn’t step back and hoping that you will fix your problems without him telling you. He is very straightforward and knows what he wants from his team and knows how to coach his team to get them to do that. He’s a more developmental coach than Morris was so it is good for the Blue team. A lot more skills stuff than just running the system.” Sinnett said.