Breaking the Ice

Sophomore Emily Chandler doesn’t take the rink in figure skates, but instead suits up to play hockey with the boys

By Andrew Browning
<[email protected]>

The Carmel Blue hockey team has proven year in and year out that it has the talent to compete with many of the state’s top A teams. Clearly a capable bunch with plenty of talent, the squad still has one player who stands out from the rest. It’s one of their right wings that often gets noticed, but it’s not because of exceptional size, speed or skill. Rather, it’s the blonde ponytail hanging out of sophomore Emily Chandler’s helmet that makes her unique among all her male comrades.

Onlookers and opponents shouldn’t be fooled by appearance. Chandler is in her 10th year of organized hockey, all of which she’s played with boys, and she said she knows she doesn’t have any problem holding her own at the high school level − even if she is almost always the only girl on the ice.

“Obviously I don’t have as much muscle as them, but I think I’m at the same skill level almost,” Chandler said. “(Knowing I’m the only girl) makes me want to try a little harder, but I’m used to it now so it feels normal to me.”

Brandon Kidd, right wing and senior, said many people perceive that the only girl on the team is bound to be the team’s least talented player, but that is not the case with Chandler.
“She’s not the best, but she’s not the worst either,” Kidd said. “There’s different ranges of skill on the team, but she’s definitely not the worst.”

After so many years, Chandler has proven herself capable in the sport. In fact, she is just one team below the person who taught her the game. Sophomore Brandon Krumper, now a goaltender for Carmel Gold, sparked Chandler’s enthusiasm for the game over 10 years ago.

“We used to always play outside on his driveway,” Chandler said. “So that led into (my interest in hockey), and then I started playing.”

LIGHT ON HER FEET: Sophomore Emily Chandler skates during practice for the Carmel Icehounds Blue team. Chandler is the only girl on the squad and hopes to continue playing hockey in college. NICK JOHNSON / PHOTO

That early childhood ambition could pay off soon, as Chandler has hopes of taking her game to the next level. Chandler said she wants to play women’s hockey in college, and that dream may not be far off because college coaches are already starting to take notice of the sophomore forward.

“I want to play for a girls’ team in college, intercollegiate or Division I team,” she said. “I would like to get a scholarship to play. I know some (college coaches) have contacted the Gold coach, but none me personally, so I’m just waiting.”

Although some type of women’s team is probably in Chandler’s not-too-distant future, she said she is more than happy playing with men for now.

“As I got older I got closer to the guys, and it became more fun,” Chandler said. “(Being the only girl) doesn’t really affect me.”

Not only is Chandler glad to be a part of Carmel Blue, but Kidd said the guys appreciate having her on the team.

“I think it’s a good experience for everyone to know that girls can play hockey,” Kidd said. “If a girl’s playing hockey people say, ‘Why? They should be figure skating.’ No. Girls can play hockey.”