Sophomores, juniors to take PSAT on Oct. 15

By Beverly Jenkins
<[email protected]

On Oct. 15, most sophomores and juniors will report to their assigned testing rooms to take the PSAT exam.

The exam holds importance for all taking it, according to Assistant Principal Ronda Eshleman. For juniors, it will prepare them for the regular SAT and also determine if they qualify for the National Merit Qualifying Scholarship Test (NMQST) semifinalist position. Sophomores, who also have the option of taking the exam, will also reap the benefits from taking the PSAT.

“(The PSAT) better prepares you because it teaches you how to take the test,” sophomore Daniel Goldberg said.

In addition to learning how to take the test, the PSAT prepares students by providing cohesive test results and showing students their strengths and weaknesses in each of the three sections the test covers, Eshleman said.

“Students get access to College Board, which provides them with a study guide and a personalized study plan,” she said. Eshleman also said that College Board enters all qualifying juniors into the NMSC scholarship competition.

Goldberg, who took the PSAT for the first time in his freshman year, said that the exam shared qualities similar to the ISTEP+ exam. 

As far as preparation for the PSAT goes, junior Blake Markley, who received a score that would have qualified her for the NMSC in her sophomore year, said that in order to do well on the test, especially within the days before, students should do a little studying every day.

“I know there are SAT questions and words of the day that can be e-mailed to you daily,” Markley said. “I think getting a good night’s rest helps a lot. Just stay calm and, if you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t stress over it. It helps if you skip that question and come back,” she said.

According to Eshleman, students here do very well on the PSAT, and, subsequently, they do just as well on the SAT. Thirty-two students were recently recognized as National Merit Scholars, a title that opens many doors. 

Eshleman said that the administration expects excellence in everything and that this elevated level has become the usual. However, Eshleman said she credits students more for the above average trend in scores than the administration. 

“More and more students are taking AP and IB courses, courses that are college level and challenging,” Eshleman said.

Not every school has such a broad academic course selection as Carmel does. Both Markley and Goldberg agree that if students are used to being challenged in an accelerated course, then the exams won’t seem as daunting.

When many students take the exam on Oct. 15, the administration is working to put together alternative activities for those who are not, like many freshman and seniors. 

Eshleman said, “We may have the magazine convocation with the freshman. We are also thinking about holding a fitness day.”

View Comments (1)
$20
$500

• C

celloMaaDec 7, 2009 at 2:51 pm

How many students took the PSAT exam this year?? Can anyone give the break down of 11th graders and 10th gradres that took the exam this Oct, 2009???

Reply