Relay for Life encourages more high school students to join

By Kelsey Binion

While Carmel’s Relay for Life event won’t occur until June 2009, people can begin gearing up now for the American Cancer Society’s signature event. Relay for Life brings more than 3.5 million people from 4,900 communities across the country together each year to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost and fight back against a disease that takes too much, according to RelayforLife.org.

“The relay is a 24-hour event. Teams of people from all walks of life have fun while raising much-needed funds to fight cancer and raise awareness of cancer prevention and treatment. Each team has one or two team captains that organize the team, collect funds and attend a monthly captain’s meeting,” Steven Brisley, Chairman of Online Fundraising, Online Technology and Logistics for Relay for Life and junior, said.

Carmel had its second annual Relay for Life last year at the end of the 2008 school year. People converged from around the Carmel area to the football stadium here.

Event chairperson Tracy Uhrig said, “Basically, you get teams of 10 to 15 people (some teams have more) to attend the event. Each team brings tents to set up for its ‘campsite’. There should be at least one person from each team on the track walking at all times with the exception of during the ceremonies. We usually have late night movies in a movie tent, pizza at midnight, MCL provides breakfast in the morning and the survivors are treated to a luncheon provided by Abuelo’s.”

It will be the third year the American Cancer Society has hosted the relay in Carmel. This year Relay for Life will begin at noon on Saturday, June 6 and will end at noon on Sunday, June 7. As the event draws nearer, participants can start a team by signing up as a team captain or can register on a friend’s team. People can register at relayforlife.org/carmel.in.

Students can also check out a soon-to-be created Facebook group to learn more information about the relay. Another way that students, parents, and community members can learn more information is by attending the Community Kick-Off. It will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 4 at 6:45 p.m. For the exact location, people should check the Web site, relayforlife.org/carmelin.

Relay For Life Schedule

June 6 12 to 1 p.m.

Opening ceremony and Survivor Luncheon

June 7  12 p.m.

Closing Ceremony

RELAYFORLIFE.ORG / SOURCE