Film Festival to be hosted May 3 at Carmel High School

For the second consecutive year, this school will host the Film Festival on May 3 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Dale E. Graham Auditorium.

According to IB Film teacher Jim Peterson, students submit original films comprised of original music, ideas and stories.

Peterson said, “(The film) can be pretty much anything from a documentary to a narrative short story.”

All participants have to be in high school, and the film must be within the time limit of ten minutes.

The film festival has doubled its entries from the past year, according to Peterson.

Peterson said, “We’re excited that it’s growing.”

Junior Laura Ellsworth is one of the many students participating in the Film Festival this year.

Ellsworth said, “I think it’s going to be fun. It’ll be interesting seeing everyone else’s movies.”

Junior Gus Leagre, also participating in the Film Festival, is submitting a drama film.

Leagre said, “We entered two (films). The other one we made last summer, but we recently updated the editing on it.

According to Leagre, he is also excited for the Film Festival and is looking forward to seeing what everyone else has worked on.

According to Peterson, there is a financial incentive of $500 for the best film plus other caption awards such as best actor and best actress.

Peterson said, “I love watching what other kids from other schools can do; there’s a lot of creativity out there with high school students, and film is becoming a great avenue and outlet for creativity out there.”