CHS explores AP Capstone Program

The AP Cambridge Capstone Program consists of three parts including a seminar course, AP courses and a research projectSince her freshman year, senior Lauren Fogel has taken 13 AP courses. For Fogel, the AP Program provides her with the challenging coursework she enjoys. Recently, CHS has begun to explore a new program, the AP Capstone Program.

Assistant Principal Brooke Watkins said via email, “Right now we’re just exploring the idea (of the AP Capstone Program). This may be another opportunity that we can provide students with more tools to be successful and open doors for future opportunities.”

CHS has yet to send an application for the new round of pilot schools for the AP Capstone Program, which, according to John Williamson, executive director for AP Curriculum Development at the College Board, is due on Nov. 8.

Watkins said, “We have to go through our own curriculum advisory committee and propose the course to the board before we can proceed.”

The AP Capstone Program itself is a two-year program, the first year dedicated to a seminar course and the second year focused on a research project. In addition to taking a seminar course and conducting a research project, students would also need to earn scores of three or more on at least four AP exams in order to earn an AP Capstone Program Diploma.

Williamson said the AP Capstone Program provides students with skills such as critical and creative thinking, collaboration and problem solving.

“We see the AP Seminar course as being a strong foundation and a strong supporter of all other AP coursework,” Williamson said. “The AP Research course would be beneficial for students in that they’re able to research, spend a year researching and working with a mentor in an area that they have a deep interest in studying and doing a project in that area.”

Fogel, who shares similar views, said, “A definite benefit would be combining your AP coursework with a research project or seminar course because you’re learning about things that are more applicable to the real world.”

Nevertheless, Fogel also said a drawback of the AP Capstone Program would be the additional work involved.

“AP courses already have a lot of work involved, especially with preparation for the AP national exams,” Fogel said. “I’m not sure exactly how (some students) would fit (the AP Capstone Program) into their schedules. It would require a lot of dedication by the students.”

However, Fogel said she would like to see the AP Capstone Program gain some popularity at CHS.

“I think that the (AP Capstone Program) would be a great opportunity,” Fogel said. “I feel like it’s a really good way to integrate what you’re learning in class to what you would have to do in the real world.”