CHTV plans to expand on new weather and daily news segments

Courtney Qualls, CHTV sponsor, works at her desk during her prep period in the CHTV room where students plan future broadcasts and are able to practice during class on Nov. 11. “I want to be able to have more students ready to take part in the weather and news segments so that we can bring in more faces into the show,” Qualls said. NATALIA CHAUDRT / PHOTO
Courtney Qualls, CHTV sponsor, works at her desk during her prep period in the CHTV room where students plan future broadcasts and are able to practice during class on Nov. 11. “I want to be able to have more students ready to take part in the weather and news segments so that we can bring in more faces into the show,” Qualls said. NATALIA CHAUDHRY / PHOTO

According to CHTV sponsor Courtney Qualls, members of CHTV are working on improving aspects of the program. To increase the quality of their daily announcements, a weather and news section were introduced recently, but the students, according to Qualls, plan to move beyond just simply stating the information they collect.

“One day I just surprised the students and told them we were doing a weather segment,” Qualls said. “They knew we were going to bring it into the broadcast eventually, but I had picked and prepped a student without them knowing.”

Jake Combs, CHTV member and senior, said he foresaw that CHTV would start working on providing its viewers with a greater variety of programs.

“We just want to be like any other news station so we’re working on becoming more professional and modeling real-life shows,” Combs said.

Qualls said, at the moment, CHTV does not plan on adding more segments, but it does hope to better the ones it has recently added to increase viewer interest.

“We want to get more people steadily involved in the weather and daily news bits. At the same time, we hope these new parts of our broadcast will get information to students,” Qualls said.