Rotary Club to present service award to CHS junior

Rich Taylor, president of the Rotary Club of Carmel, works at his office. The Rotary Club of Carmel participates in various service projects. ALLY RUSSELL / PHOTO

The Rotary Club of Carmel is presenting the William D. McFadden Student Service Award to CHS juniors who participate in community service. The award offers juniors a chance to gain recognition for their hard work, while helping out a charitable cause.

Ari Brown, potential candidate for the William D. McFadden Student Service Award and junior, said he is considering applying for the award due to his involvement in community service during his junior year. Brown said he thinks fellow classmates should apply for scholarships because “(they) are a chance to recognize achievement of kids in and out of school.”

Rich Taylor, president of The Rotary Club of Carmel, encourages juniors involved in community service to apply for the scholarship.

“It is an opportunity to be recognized as a model for (community service),” Taylor said.

He explained that if achieved, the Rotary Club of Carmel would then donate $2000 to a charity of the student’s choice. The applications for the award are due to Taylor by midnight on April 4.

“It has to be somebody that demonstrates a passion for community service,” Taylor said.

Students can apply for the award at the Rotary Club of Carmel’s website.

“(The William D. McFadden Student Service Award) is really for anyone with a passion to give,” Taylor said.