House of Books members to participate in World Book Night U.S. on April 23

Kimaya Raje and Max Jolly, House of Books members and sophomores, work on the computer during a club meeting. Raje and Jolly participate in many House of Books Club events including World Book Night. MILES DAI / PHOTO

In order to promote literacy and fuel a love for reading, House of Books, a club at CHS, will be participating in World Book Night U.S. on April 23. While only the members who meet the age requirement of 16 years will help out in passing out books, the club supports the message World Book Night U.S. promotes.

Yutian Hu, House of Books member and sophomore, will be participating in the worldwide book giveaway. As a giver, she will pick up books that were printed as special World Book Night U.S. editions to hand out on the Monon Trail.

“I think that books are really important, and some useful books can change your life,” Hu said. “So I wish I could help my community and people who do not have the chance to read books. They can get the donation from us so they can read the book, which will probably help them make decisions for their life.”

According to the World Book Night U.S. website, 30 to 35 books are chosen every year by an assortment of booksellers and librarians. These books are meant to reach those who do not have proper access to books or do not normally read. This mission statement is comparable to that of House of Books. The similarities play a large role in why the club is participating in the event.

Theresa Ramos, co-sponsor of House of Books and CHS media specialist, said she suggested the club to take part in World Book Night since it, too, strives to make books available to a variety of people.

“(House of Books’) general purpose, I think, is to help people or groups who have experienced natural disaster or for some reason experienced poverty to get back in touch with books or get interested in books,” Ramos said. “I think it’s a pretty noble cause, and it had to do with the library.”

Hu said she was motivated to take part in World Book Night since she has benefited tremendously from reading.

w.Fernando.HouseofBooks.3.27“I learn English from the books because I think reading is the most important method to get to know a new language and understand the new culture,” Hu said. “On Monon Trail, the library picked it so that will be the best location because the Monon Trail is in downtown Carmel, and there will be a lot of people passing by, and I’m sure they will do announcement for the activity so a lot of people will pass by and benefit.”

For a guest review of Catch-22 from Max Jolly and Kimaya Raje, House of Books members and sophomores, click here.