Recent news in Mexico raises travel concerns, students disregard warnings

By Erin Lowe

Despite recent headlines regarding dangerous incidents in Mexico, students and teachers here still plan to travel there for spring break. But Spanish teacher Dora Mulcahy, who has family in Mexico, is not one of these people. In fact, she has been warning students in her classes about the possible dangers they could face if they travel south of the border.

“I’m worried for (students). I’ve talked to them (in class). The kids think nothing’s ever going to happen to them. They think they are safe in a resort. They already paid and don’t want to lose the money,” Mulcahy said. Mulcahy’s past visits have taught her that Mexico is full of dangers.

However, students here think otherwise. Senior Molly Pearson is traveling with a group of friends to Cancun for the week and said she believes there are no real dangers in going to a resort.

“We are going to an all-inclusive resort. My mom and my friend’s mom are going with us. I don’t know a lot of the details (about Mexico). I just know there is drug trafficking and kidnappings. I don’t know specifics.”

Current news articles have warned against teens going to Mexico. According to a recent article from The Orion newspaper from California State University, “Students who are SAFETY FIRST: Dora Mulcahy, a Mexico native, teaches one of her Spanish classes. Because of the recent news stories about the dangers in Mexico, Mulcahy does not recommend anyone to visit there on spring break. EVELYN FORBES / PHOTOconsidering traveling to Mexico for spring break should stay away from red-light districts, visit only legitimate stores and tourist spots during the day and avoid traveling alone.”

Although Pearson is staying in a resort, she said she still wants to know what to look out for.

“The most I feel I could do is be aware, and I take a parent. We’re not going outside of the resort and we will stay in groups,” Pearson said.

Pearson said she has heard not to tip very high as this will alert people that you have quite a bit of money.

Information found on travel.state.gov includes some important facts that teens should be aware of. “Make sure you have a valid passport with you. If black or red flags are up, do not enter the water. Do not swim in pools or at beaches without a lifeguard. Use only licensed and regulated taxis (sitios).Do not carry a pocketknife (results in weapons charge).” The site also states that travelers should contact the embassy or consulate.

Overall, though, Pearson said she is not very concerned. “We bought our tickets through Costco and we could get close to a full refund. If things got too dangerous we would probably stay home,” she said.

Mulcahy said she warns students in her classes and has even managed to convince some to stay home, but three are still going.

“I think they should stay in groups,” she said. “You can’t trust anyone. Do not leave the resort. Do not go to clubs. Don’t mingle with the locals. Do not be out in early mornings, there have been rapes. Don’t get into a taxi or take a bus. Stay with adults.”