Sophomore Class prepares for Homecoming events

Sophomores Genesis Williams and Imranjit Samra talk about their plans for Homecoming week. They said they were looking forward to the dance on Sept. 13. MATTHEW ZHENG / PHOTO

This year, Sophomore Class president Jordan “J.D.” Arland is working to provide a memorable Homecoming experience.

“I’m trying to make this the best Homecoming ever. That includes making the Sophomore Class the winner of the playhouse building on Sept. 10, and what we’re going to do is (have) a really fresh theme to try to get ourselves ahead of the game, and raise as much money as we possibly can for charity,” he said.

The Sophomore Class will donate to Chaucie’s place, a charity that helps victims of domestic violence and abuse.

“It provides a safe place for them,” Arland said.

Additionally, Arland said he plans to make organizational improvements for the sophomores.

“I want to implement some changes to make everything a little more efficient in terms of voting and the lunch schedule for the Sophomore Class. Anything that’s brought up to me that I can try to fix-I’m going to do my best to do so,” he said.

Sophomore Genesis Williams said she plans to go to the Homecoming dance on Sept. 13 at 8 p.m, and expects some improvements. She also said she thinks about one-third of the sophomores will attend the dance.

“I want it to be better because (the dance) last year wasn’t that great for me. It was a lot of drama and the lights were on,” she said.