Houndstock fundraiser to support Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital

FINE TUNING: Senior Johnny Hourmozdi (center) rehearses with his band The Fuse in preparation for Houndstock, which will feature strings, percussion and arrangements of Coldplay and Margot and the Nuclear So-and-Sos. House is currently determining the selection after hosting try-outs this past week. POOJA MATHUR / PHOTO

By Afra Hussain

Bands, music and food will once again come together at Houndstock on May 16. This year, the event takes place at the football stadium in the grassy area near the visitor stand from 4 to 10 p.m.

“The reason we do it there is because there is a hill and it gives a sort of Verizon Wireless center feel,” House sponsor Sarah Wolff said. However, in order to attend the event, students must purchase tickets. Tickets are $5 at the door and there is no pre-sale. Also, this is the first year the event will raise money for the Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital. Guest speakers from the hospital will make an appearance at the event as well.

“We just want to give,” Kevin Kidd, cabinet member and junior, said. In addition, Cabinet member and senior Ashley Elliott said, “It’s not about the numbers.”

About 15 bands play and the faculty band will also play at the event. This year Kidd said more than 30 bands  auditioned to play at Houndstock but about 15 are actually chosen. He said time constraints and maintaining diversity as the reasons behind not choosing as many bands to play at the event. According to Wolff, this process allows for the
most diverse kind of music played at the event. She said, “This is a really great opportunity for people that have a  talent that maybe isn’t showcased at other opportunities. (Houndstock) is a good outlet for us to allow them
to participate.”

DETA ILS, DETA ILS: House sponsor Sarah Wolff (left) and senior Ashley Elliott work out plans for Houndstock. The event will feature student bands and House will send all proceeds to Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital. SHIRLEY CHEN / PHOTO
DETAILS, DETA ILS: House sponsor Sarah Wolff (left) and senior Ashley Elliott work out plans for Houndstock. The event will feature student bands and House will send all proceeds to Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital. SHIRLEY CHEN / PHOTO

The bands were selected through an audition process and graded based on a rubric provided to volunteer judges, who were also selected by application and members of the Houndstock committee. The planning process for the event takes place months before the actual event and Wolff said it involves much of the student body because of how many people plan, participate and attend the event. Vendors and food are also part of the Houndstock experience. Clubs here can also apply for a booth to fundraise at the event. The form can be found here.

Another way for students to get involved with the event to is to purchase Houndstock T-shirts. The shirts will be sold in Greyhound and Main cafeterias the week before the actual event on May 4 through May 8. Proceeds from the shirts go to the children’s hospital. Kidd said he encourages students to come to the event and said they are not obliged to stay for the entire event. “It’s a lot of diverse music and a good event to go to with friends and there are fireworks at the end,” he said.

Wolff said she also encourages students to attend. “Whether in a band or you like music,” she said, “it’s a good event just to attend, and the weather is usually nice.”