Administration makes grading scale uniform across school

By Monica Cheng
<[email protected]>

STEVEN CHEN / GRAPHIC
STEVEN CHEN / GRAPHIC

The grading scale system here will change this school year to not only be consistent throughout the entire high school, but also with the middle schools.

“In the past, we haven’t had an offi cial grading scale and, therefore, the grading scales for each department (in this school) were inconsistent,” assistant principal Ronda Eshleman said.

In order to solve the problem, a committee consisting of representatives from each department, administrative members, parents and students met several times last school year—the most recent being just this spring— according to Eshleman.

The committee members decided on a solution; an A is 93 to 100 percent, A- is 90 to 92 percent, B+ is 87 to 89 percent, etc. (See graphic)

“I would approve of the change in the grading scale system because it’s reasonable and probably more convenient because it will now be uniform for all the teachers in the school,” senior Ivana Huang said.

According to Huang, one benefit the new grading scale will bring over is objectivity. “Teachers won’t be subjective in their grading scale,” Huang said.

With this new grading scale system in place, the high school will now be consistent with all the middle schools. “We want to make the middle school grading scale stay consistent with the high school one because some middle school students get credits for world languages and math classes in middle school,” Eshleman said.

Therefore, the middle school students who are taking a world language or an advanced math class can bring over high school credits without as much confusion as in the past. “Students will know. Parents will know. So now, they don’t have to check each teacher’s Web site or fact sheet to know the grading scale,” Eshleman said.

“I think in the long run,” Huang said, “this change will definitely benefi t the majority of students at CHS.”