A Welcome A”Board” Q&A

New school board members Lin Zheng, Katie Browning discuss future plans for CHS, their experience campaigning

Zheng+and+Browning+pose+together+after+running+a+race+for+their+campaign.+

Submitted Photo

Zheng and Browning pose together after running a race for their campaign.

Rebecca Qin

1. Why did you want to join the school board?
    “I am a proud parent of two children attending Carmel Clay Schools. I also have international background and financial expertise that would add great values to the board.”
  2. What was the campaigning process like?
    “The school board campaign is a sales process during which I had to constantly and consistently introduce myself and my campaign. It is also a self discovery process where I walked out of my comfort zone. I am glad not because I won, but also I became more confident and found myself with potentials to achieve great things.”
  3. How should Carmel continue to implement technology in schools?
    “The district has taken an important initiative of technology integration. The overall goal is to leverage technology so we can provide better education and services. Improvement comes not just in terms of getting access to real time and diverse information, but also in terms of efficiency and innovations. I believe that successful implementation would warrant the community to think things differently than in the past.”

Lin Zheng, new CCS board member
  4. What are some issues Carmel schools are currently facing? How are planning to address them?
    “I believe the biggest issue now is school funding. Carmel has constantly received substantially lower state funding than the average. I am proud of the district’s achievement but it is getting increasingly challenging to operate on a tight belt. The board has done an excellent job setting legislative priorities and working with other school boards in the state to improve the current funding formula. In addition, it is critical for the community to pass the referendum in 2017 to keep the level and quality of the current programs and services at the district.”
  5. What are some things you want to focus on for your next term as a board member?
    “First of all, I want to learn how the school district and the board operate. This insider view would help me shape my perspectives of urgent issues at the district. In addition, I am always interested in strengthening the communication between the board and the community and enriching global learning for students.”
Katie Browning, new CCS board member

Rebecca Qin 

1. What are some things you want to focus on for your next term as a board member?
    I love our school district. I want to be able to use my skills in whatever way will best serve the students and staff that are in our schools. I feel that I am a strong communicator and have a talent for looking at all sides of issues. I want to work on building relationships and trust. I know as I spend this first year learning more and more about our district I can be a valuable asset.”
  2. Why did you want to join the school board?
    “ I am an optimist where government is concerned. I understand and know that even in the smallest ways I have the possibility to make things better. Being on the school board is a beautiful blending of these two ideas: love of education and optimism in government processes. We need to know things can always be better.”
    “We need to ensure that not only are students prepared for the world that is waiting for them but that our teachers are prepared to teach it.  In regards to technology, we need to be able to provide continuous education not only our students but to our facility. In this same sense, giving/using tech is not the answer to everything. Hands on learning is still vital.  There is a balance that as a district I know we are striving for. I want to help continue to strive for that balance.”
    “As I said in my campaign, state funding is a large issue and I know that I can learn and continuing working with our current board on how best to help achieve our legislative priorities. We also have a referendum that will be voted on in the spring. I want to make sure that our community understands what that means and how it will affect our district if it fails to pass. I want to be a voice for and to our city.”
  5. What was the campaigning process like?
    “(The campaigning process was) busy. This was a city-wide election so in a relatively short amount of time I needed to let every voter in the city know that I was a great option to be a school board member. My days were spent emailing, calling, going and working social media. I am very glad to be spending less time doing that; (I) was ready for a Facebook break!”