Greyhounds girls basketball team splits games over the weekend, prepares for Lawrence Central

Carmel+Greyhounds+head+coach+Erin+Trimpe+smiles+at+her+players+on+the+bench+during+their+game+against+Fort+Wayne+Carroll.+Trimpe+said+she+is+really+enjoying+learning+new+things+in+her+first+season+as+head+coach%2C+and+getting+great+effort+from+her+players.+The+players+have+really+bought+in%2C+and+Im+lucky+to+have+the+coaching+staff+that+I+have+helping+everyday.+The+girls+play+hard+every+single+night+regardless+of+who+were+playing+or+what+the+score+is%2C+Trimpe+said.+
Carmel Greyhounds head coach Erin Trimpe smiles at her players on the bench during their game against Fort Wayne Carroll. Trimpe said she is really enjoying learning new things in her first season as head coach, and getting great effort from her players. “The players have really bought in, and I’m lucky to have the coaching staff that I have helping everyday. The girls play hard every single night regardless of who we’re playing or what the score is,” Trimpe said.

The Carmel Greyhounds girls basketball team had an active weekend losing against the North Central Panthers 67-52, and then following it up with a victory over the Fort Wayne Carroll Chargers 73-35. The Greyhounds are currently 5-7 and 0-3 in conference games. Reagan Hune, forward and senior, had 20 points, two assists and three rebounds in the loss against the Panthers. “My teammates were doing a really good job of setting me up for success during every play,” Hune said.

Going into the week, the reason Hune said she played so well was that she said she felt like she had a chip on her shoulder. “I’ve had a chip on my shoulder the entire season, going into the game I knew North Central has always been good. My old teammate [North Central forward and junior Jasmine McWilliams] also plays on that team and so I feel like I had to prove myself to a lot of people,” Hune said.

Greyhounds head coach Erin Trimpe said that Hune has been playing very well all season, “Reagan has been great and consistent for us all season long, she’s someone on the floor who can do a lot of different things. She’s really developed her shot, she can get to the basket, and she’s really such a good force for us out on the court. She’s really bought into the role that she’s had to step into this season and it’s really fun to watch.”

Trimpe said her team learned a lot this weekend. “We played a really good North Central team and we stayed competitive with them through three quarters, we had a bad 30 seconds in which we let them score eight unanswered points, and against a team like that it’s just hard to come back from. We won the fourth quarter and we didn’t quit. One thing I know about this team is that they’re not going to stop playing and they’re not going to quit and that was definitely shown this weekend.”

The Greyhounds started off on a 10-2 run in the first quarter against the Chargers, and never relinquished the lead scoring 73 points against the Chargers on Saturday, coming within one point of their season high total of 74 points. Hune and Mackenzie Wood, forward and senior combined for 28 of the teams 73 points, while guard and sophomore Tally Seitz came off the bench and scored 11 points. Forward and sophomore Riley Pennington also added seven points.

Hune said that the win against the Chargers really highlighted the strength of their team. “It takes a lot to come back less than 12 hours after your last game considering how tired we were and get ready to play again, but we just had to learn from the North Central game and go into the game against Fort Wayne Carroll feeling confident,” Hune said.

The Greyhounds will host the Lawrence Central Bears on Friday, as they look to secure their fifth win of the season. The Bears are 2-9, 0-3 in conference games, and are currently riding a four game losing streak. The Bears are coached by Antoine Wynne, a 1984 Bears alumni who coached at Arlington High School from 2016 to 2018, and T.C Howe High School from 2013 to 2014.

The Bears are led by guards and seniors Kalyn Williams and Charlize Turner, Williams is averaging 11.7 points per game and 2.4 steals per game, Turner is averaging 10.9 points per game and 2.9 assists per game. Trimpe said that Lawrence Central is a good team and they needs to expect something different. “Lawrence Central is a team that’s going to show us a lot of different things as far as personnel, I think if we come out and execute the game plan, hopefully in the next few games we’ll get a winning stretch going that will increase our confidence,” Trimpe said. Tip off is at 7:30pm.