Student finds place in performing arts programs

By: Sarah Sheafer <[email protected]>

Junior Miranda Cascione watched Peter and the Wolf in her third grade music class. One of the characters she saw in it was a duck. As the animal waddled its way onto the screen, she was immediately drawn to it and the instrument it represented, the oboe.

When Cascione returned home from school, she asked her parents if she could learn how to play the instrument. Her parents granted her this wish by giving her private lessons with the oboe in fourth grade.

From then on, Cascione has enjoyed music and what she receives from it. She is currently in Wind Symphony I, Symphony Orchestra and Accents. Even though being in band, orchestra and choir takes up a large amount of her time, she still continues to participate in them.

“I’ve debated whether or not to drop one of them, but I would really miss it, and I get too much out of it to quit,” Cascione said.

Rachel Tookolo, Associate Director of Orchestras, said, “If anything, the performing arts classes act as a creative expression outlet for students. Students know the schedule, rigor and amount of outside time it will take before they take the class. Sometimes (taking several performing arts classes) involves making sacrifices with other aspects, but ultimately making it work is very achievable.”

Even though Cascione wishes she had more time to study for her other classes and to do other things besides just music, Cascione said she sees benefits of being in so many music groups.

“I really like music. It helps with social activities and even leadership,” she said.

However, she said she realizes that not every student is capable of being in so many music groups. Some might have other interests that they could not explore because they were either practicing their instrument or performing in a concert.

A normal week for Cascione, if she had to perform in choir over the weekend, would consist of many hours after school. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, she attends choir practice. She takes private lessons for oboe and participates in orchestra practice on Tuesdays. On Thursday she also practices with orchestra after school. She even has to rehearse on Saturdays for choir occasionally.
Along with practicing her oboe and singing, Cascione plays the piano. She started the instrument when she was five-years-old. However she has quit lessons.

Cascione will continue band, orchestra and choir in her senior year. She said, “(Music) is just my passion.”