Partyless Birthday

Instead of having birthday parties with friends, some students choose to avoid the hassle of money and planning by celebrating with family

By Audrey Bailey

She doesn’t send out embossed invitations or rent a party venue. Instead, junior Emily Bonham goes against what many perceive to be the normal idea of having large, planned birthday parties. Along with other students, Emily said she decides against big get-together’s and party planning in order to spend time with her family while also saving money.

FAMILY FESTIVITIES: Junior Emily Bonham (far right) is pictured celebrating her 16th birthday with her family last March. Instead of having a large birthday party like many other teens do, Bonham chose to spend the day with her relatives. EMILY BONHAM / SUBMITTED PHOTO

“I think money is probably an issue for most teens because they have to find a way to pay for food and entertainment. Their parents may be opposed to all this spending. Also, the birthday becomes less of a time to celebrate and more focused on all the stress of planning and paying for a party,” Emily said.

Although for her part Emily personally decides to spend her birthdays with relatives, other students simply cannot afford the expense of extravagant birthday parties. The hit MTV show, “My Super Sweet Sixteen,” portrays the “normal” birthday experience for a teen costing up to $200,000.

This show may represent the extreme, but there are other options for students who wish to throw an enjoyable birthday party. According to Pat Hecox, manager of Party Tree in Carmel, he and his employees see several parents and students come in to plan parties.

“We do a lot of birthday parties for high school students,” Hecox said.

Party Tree is a balloon and party store that sells supplies for special occasions and also helps with the planning. Party Tree has been in Carmel since 1990 and opened its second location in Fishers in 2005. The store has now become the largest retail party supply store in Indiana with over 18,000 square feet of products. For students who wish to throw a birthday party without spending the amount of money a teenager does on “My Super Sweet Sixteen,” Party Tree, according to Hecox, may be an option.

Along with the issues of money and family time, the age issue also comes to mind. According to Hecox, most Party Tree costumers are young moms and families. Even though high school students plan their sweet 16 with the store, most of the business comes from the younger age groups. Hecox said he still believes, however, that most high school students choose to have a partyof some sort, even though they do not formally plan them.

Emily said her main reason for celebrating with her family is due to the stress and time it takes to plan a party.

“I have had birthday parties with only family for all my life. I guess my parents would let me have a few friends over, but I don’t really want to have to deal with all the planning. I think it is easier and better to just invite family,” she said.

Emily’s mother, Carlene Bonham, said it has also been a personal decision regarding birthday parties. Since Emily’s grandparents and relatives live in different parts of Indiana, Mrs. Bonham said her birthday is an opportunity to get everyone together and have a good time.

“I thought Emily’s birthday would be a good way to get both sides of the family together and also celebrate Emily,” Mrs. Bonham said.

Although this is the case for her and her family, Emily said she agrees that the decision involving party or no party is determined by money. She said parents might be opposed to the spending involved with food, entertainment and other expenses.

According to Emily, having a birthday party with friends would be allowed; it is just the fact that she has become used to her birthday being a time to see relatives that would otherwise become distant. The fact that Emily’s birthday celebrations are tradition is not the only reason she said she chooses not to throw a large friend-oriented party, though expense and time also play a part.

“I think it is a big hassle to put together a major birthday party, especially if you do it every year. Instead, my birthday is an opportunity for my extended family to visit. That makes it more special and less stressful,” Emily said.