Club Spotlight: Dental Club

Daniyal Sher, dental club student leader and senior, speaks to fellow club members about plans for the school year. During their most recent meeting club members brainstormed potential fundraising opportunities. According to Sher, while their most recent supply drive ended, another supply drive has been tentatively scheduled for Spring of 2022.
Siri Surapaneni

Daniyal Sher, dental club student leader

Why was Carmel dental club created?

I wanted a space where I could adventure with dentistry because that’s one of my passions. I knew that I had a couple of friends and I knew a couple of underclassmen who were also passionate about it, so I just wanted to find a way that we could provide those high schoolers, like me, opportunities in (dentistry) education.

What is main focus of Carmel dental club?

They learn about dentistry, but it’s more focused on what they can do to advance their personal goals for dentistry. Because some kids come in, they don’t want to be a dentist, they just want to come in and help the community.

How do club members help the community?

We have a dental supply drive that’s going on right now that we started a few weeks back. There’s a lot of people downtown Indianapolis who aren’t able to get the dental care they need, and obviously, we’re not saying that we’re going to do root canals because we just aren’t able to do that, but we just wanted to make some positive change. So we got a supply drive going for toothbrushes, flossers, toothpaste, all those kinds of things. 

Alyssa Ament, dental club sponsor

What do club members do at this club?

It’s a little new, but they’ve been setting up a dental supply drive and so they’ve been working and looking at shadowing opportunities.

What kind of student should join this club?

Anybody who is just passionate about helping people and then obviously, people who are considering dentistry as a future profession or healthcare, I think would be a great fit.

What is the goal of Carmel dental club?

I think just to raise awareness about dental health and to collect supplies, and just to help find a place for kids who are interested in dentistry to chat and connect and network.