Assistant Principal Brooke Weekes to replace Assistant Principal of Curriculum Ronda Eshleman

Principal John Williams announced on Sept. 2 that Assistant Principal Brooke Weekes will replace Assistant Principal of Curriculum Ronda Eshleman. Eshleman will depart CHS for the Online Academy on Sept. 6, and Weekes will officially assume her role the next day.

Williams said, “(Weekes) has a strong background in professional development. She has worked hard in her career as a teacher and as a department chair and assistant principal. She’s very talented and a tremendously hard worker.”

Weekes currently works in the Activities Office as a 10-month assistant principal. As she moves into the main office, her primary responsibilities as the 12-month assistant principal of curriculum will include curriculum and professional development.

“(Those) are areas I really enjoy. We have a new model called the Gradual Release of Responsibility, so I will plan and facilitate those trainings.”

Although Weekes said she looks forward to this opportunity, she said she will miss the frequent interaction with students.

“The further up you get in administration, the further away you get from working directly with students, which is why I went into education in the first place,” Weekes said. “That’s one thing I really like about the Activities Office, that there was a lot of student traffic in here, and I’m around kids all day long even though I might not work directly with them in a classroom. I will need to make sure to get to know students and interact with them on a regular basis.”

According to Williams, the school will consider current CHS staff members to replace Weekes and hopes to hire a replacement within the week. He said this plan will ensure the smoothest transition possible.

“It’s nice that Ms. Weekes is one of our own,” Williams said. “We don’t have to spend a lot of time showing her around or having her get to know our climate and culture. We do things so differently here. The expectations are so high.”