Chemistry Club plans science demonstration for IPS students

Chemicals in an AP Chemistry class are set out for use by students. Chemistry Club is planning a demonstration for students at IPS schools involving chemicals like these. ARUNI RANWEERA/ PHOTO
Chemicals in an AP Chemistry class are set out for use by students. Chemistry Club is planning a demonstration for students at IPS schools involving chemicals like these. ARUNI RANAWEERA/ PHOTO

Chemistry Club members continue to work on their first IPS school demonstration that may be held on Oct. 14 and are waiting for the confirmation from one of the schools to perform the demonstration, according to club sponsor Virginia Kundrat.

“I think (the demonstrations) are a great way to spark interest with younger children,” Kundrat said. “If they can see some of the possibilities, I think they can get interested in (science).”

Club members have planned several experiments for the demonstration such as making ice cream, a magic color change lab and a fingerprints lab. The students at the IPS school will be able to participate in some of these labs.

“Some of the experiments are above the students’ age of understanding, but they are just fascinated by the color changes, bubbles, or whatever,” Kundrat said.

Kundrat has shown the members some experiments that they can use for the demonstration although she allows them to decide what they want to do.

“It’s kind of up in the air right now,” Kundrat said.

The members have also gotten ideas by looking up experiments on YouTube, Kundrat said.

Along with the preparation for the demonstration, a group of students are also working on entering in a high school competition at the Children’s Museum that takes place on Nov. 5, Kundrat said, hosted by the American Chemical Society. The students in the group are juniors Askshay Kumar and Abinand Rejimon and sophomores  Eric He, Saiuth Malpeddi, Kim Qian and Julie Xu.  The competition includes a video on this year’s theme: “Chemistry – Our Health Our Future.”