Spanish students watch “Slumdog Millionaire,” plan to do similar in future

After reading the novel Lazarillo de Tormes, the Spanish AP Literature students watched “Slumdog Millionare” on October 27 at 5:30 p.m. in the community room, and after this experience, they said they will probably continue to do it more in the future.

“The movie night was an idea I received from a student who was in AP Spanish Literature last year.  He said they watched the film after reading the novel Lazarillo last year.  I thought it would not only help make the novel more relatable to the students but also provide a chance to bond outside of class,” said Elizabeth Sprague, Spanish AP Literature teacher via-email.

The students watched the movie in English; however, it helped create a more vivid picture of what the book was about.

“This helped me understand the book more. When comparing it to a movie, I understood the theme in the book better,” said Stephanie Fancher, Spanish AP Literature student and senior.

“The movie night was a lot of fun,” Fancher said. “We ate pizza, and it was so quiet you could hear the janitors at night.”

“There are no other movie nights planned as of now, but we may have other ones in the future.  Because the class centers around discussion of literature, I’ve considered taking the class to a coffee shop or frozen yogurt place to hold class in a less formal location,” said Sprague via-email.