Seniors recognized at Scholarship Night May 17

On May 17, seniors will be recognized for scholarships that they’ve earned at the annual Scholarship Night at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium, according to counseling department secretary Julie Van Buren, who is in charge of organizing the event.

Any senior who obtains a useable scholarship can apply for recognition at Scholarship Night, counseling department chairperson Linda Skafish said.

“It’s not really about encouraging students; it’s more about recognizing students for their accomplishments they’ve received,” Van Buren said.

“The scholarships are awarded on the most part because the kids have studied and worked hard and they get them because of their academic achievements. And so (the scholarship night) is to recognize them,” Skafish said.

Senior Kern Vohra, who’s being recognized for receiving the Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship, one of Vanderbilt’s full-tuition scholarship programs, said via email, “Scholarships are definitely something to be proud of. Not only is it just a question of money, but it illustrates that you care enough about your college education that you are willing to put in the extra effort, to go the extra mile.”

In addition, Vohra also said that juniors should attend Scholarship Night to get an idea of what scholarships are available.

“I think for juniors to go though, the event needs to be better advertised because if you don’t know it exists, you can’t exactly attend it,” Vohra said. “It would definitely be overkill for freshmen and sophomores though; they really don’t need to be there.”