Students, teachers continue to adjust to RISE standards

CALCULATING THE ROUTE TO SUCCESS: Christopher “Chris” Jamerson, precalculus student and senior, works on his math homework. Jamerson is noticing an improvement in his grade as well as the grades of his peers.

Christopher “Chris” Jamerson, precalculus student and senior, is noticing an improvement in his math grade as well as the grades of his peers. As teachers and students continue to adjust to the RISE standards, the new teaching standards set by the state of Indiana at the beginning of this school year. In fact, Jamerson plans on working harder to continue to improve his grades.

Christopher “Chris” Jamerson, precalculus student and senior, works on his math homework. Jamerson is noticing an improvement in his grade as well as the grades of his peers. MATT BARNTHOUSE / PHOTO

“I think math grades are improving all around. I know (my grades) are. I plan on studying hard and trying harder.” Jamerson said.

According to department chairperson Jacinda Sohalski, the RISE standards are not having a huge effect adjustment-wise on how teachers teach, and will continue to become less of an issue for teachers in the coming weeks.

“I don’t think that RISE is having as big of an effect.” Sohalski said. “I think our teachers have become accustomed to it. Many of the practices that we have asked them to incorporate have now become a more natural part of what they do. Both students and teachers are used to the evaluators coming in to the room. I think that we have all adapted to it.”