GSA to participate in Day of Silence

The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will participate in the National Day of Silence on April 19. Sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), Day of Silence is a day of action in which the students will not talk on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning (LGBTQ) people in the world who are silenced by bullying and harassment.

“(We) don’t talk all day for the people who are silenced by society’s non-acceptance of their sexuality,” vice president and junior Taylor Farmer said. “They can’t be who they actually are because society doesn’t accept them. That’s why we aren’t going to talk (out of) respect for them, to show that we are supporting them.”

The GSA plans on making stickers and papers for participating students to give to their teachers to let them know that they are not speaking for the day. The club has also gotten the Pathways to recognize the date of the Day of Silence so that students can plan ahead.

“It’s important for (the students to be involved) because it gives them a chance to do a little bit of outreach and awareness,” as previously stated by sponsor Jeremy Horner. “It’s important that it brings awareness to the issue for everyone.”