Recognition ceremony for individual accomplishments hosted in Media Center Nov. 1

Select students and teachers were recognized for their outstanding accomplishments by a ceremony in the media center on Nov. 1. Principal John Williams outlined each individuals’ accomplishments and congratulated them. This event was organized by assistant principal Brittany Wiseman and student service secretaries Tamea Brinson and Rita Winters.
Williams said “Everyone recognized here represents all of our staff. They work very hard, they’re passionate about what they do, they’re very involved and professional and this recognition is a time for all of us to be proud of what we do at Carmel High School.”
Senior David Liang was recognized for being a national merit semi-finalist and for his recently won gold medal at the International Chemistry Olympiad competition in Russia.
According to Williams, this recognition is only given to the top 10 percent of the international competitors. In addition, Liang is Indiana’s 2012-13 Siemens award for Advanced Placement winner. He received recognition by earning a perfect five on the greatest number of AP exams, 15.
Senior Austin Roberts is the first Carmel football player to be selected to play in the prestigious US Army all-american bowl. This game features the top 90 players in the country and is televised live on NBC. He won the Hamilton County and MIC Conference 100 meter dash. He is currently ranked as the No. 1 high school football player in Indiana by rivals.com and is a finalist for the Gatorade high school player of the year. Austin has committed to play football next year for UCLA.
English teacher John Love was recently inducted into the Indiana High School Forensic Association Hall of Fame.
According to Williams, to be considered for this, coaches have to be nominated by their peers and have to have coached for at least 10 years. Members are selected based upon their individual service, and performance of their schools speech programs.
Math teacher Jan Mitchener was the 2007 Carmel Clay Schools teacher of the year and was selected by a committee of Indiana University faculty, students and former recipients as the 2013-14 Armstrong Teacher.
Williams said, “(Mitchener) has already established herself nationwide as a presenter, especially in the area of technology and higher level math, and has spent several days at the (Indiana University) Bloomington campus sharing her knowledge.
Publications teacher Jim Streisel was the 2011 Carmel Clay Schools teacher of the year and is the Dow Jones News Fund 2013 National High School Journalism teacher of the year. As the winner of this award, Streisel will speak at the fall JEA NSPA convention in Boston, Massachusetts.
Williams said, “These accomplishments are truly amazing and again I thank those folks for their work and their efforts; none of these come easily. They’re all talented and we’re thankful for our talent and proud of our efforts. Your hard work, your talent, and your achievements, have brought great pride to your school.”